*Tears hair out* My slipstreamed disk won't work! Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Swift Sketcher, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Ok, I've wasted hours and about 3 cds trying to slip-stream my legitimate Windows XP SP1 disc with sp2, carefully following online tutorials, only to get the same failure each time.

I start up bootcamp, put the slipstreamed XP SP2 installation disk, the setup progresses normally as it loads everything up until I get the message:

"Please insert one of the following Windows product CD's into the CD-ROM drive: Windows XP Home Edition (full version), Windows XP Professional (full version), Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Millennium, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 95, or Windows NT Workstation 3.51."
    Er.. the disk is already inside! (To test this, I even tried it on fusion, put in my original XP disk in at the request of this message, and the same thing happens!)

Dead end, and I don't know what to do. I named the CD the same as my XP disk, I integrated, burned on the image, all that jazz, but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Help :(:(

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Are you using an upgrade XP disc? Bootcamp, Fusion, and Parallels only let you use full install discs.

Make your life easier. Let this awesome free program slipstream and customize your XP disc for you:

http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

3. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it's a full install disk with sp1 included. I suppose I'll give nlite a try.

Also a question: Installing Windows won't wipe(format) my entire harddrive or anything right? Only the windows partition side?

4. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

It will only use the bootcamp partition that you have made. It doesn't affect OSX at all.

5. mediaguru macrumors regular

Somehow you got a hold of a Windows XP upgrade or academic disc. This is the check the setup program does when you try to install an upgrade version on a clean disk.

When you get past the upgrade compliance issue, there will be a partition list in the setup program. You will see your Mac partition as an "unknown" volume. Just leave that alone. Use next partition for the Windows installation, which should be the one created by the Bootcamp Assistant.

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I used AutoStreamer (link near the bottom of the page) to slipstream xp sp2 on a disk to use with bootcamp.