Teaser from Anandtech rMBP review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NMF, Jun 21, 2012.

1. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I emailed Anand asking about the review and he actually responded to me! What a stand-up guy. He included this teaser of the upcoming review, which unfortunately cuts off just when things start to get interesting. I'm really curious about what he has to say about all the UI lag issues I've been reading about.

[​IMG]
    (click for full - kinda blurry due to retina)

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Cool. Anands tech reviews are the only tech reviews I actually read and care about

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Really looking forward to that review!

Their reviews are always full with bonus information.

4. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I await the review with bated breath.

I would love to know the technical details of what Apple is doing with the resolution scaling, etc.

5. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

:eek::eek::eek: nice to see its chugging along. You have no idea how many times I refresh the Mac tag in AnandTech and still see the Windows 8 as the latest article. But it's definitely worth the wait as they are so detailed. I hope Anand includes his observations on the (temporary) lag issues as well as the resolution and scaling comparisons, pros and cons that are pleaguing the forums these days. Can't frreakin wait!

6. CUsurfer macrumors member

So I was seriously just about to click the Buy button. Guess I can wait a few more days. They aren't shipping for a few weeks anyway. I'm such a fickle consumer when it comes to computers...sigh. I hope Anand has good news.

7. parlour macrumors member

Dat word count. Two thirds of the words in my Bachelor’s thesis.

Also, pretty awesome to see one of the questions I had answered just like that. (How does scaling actually work exactly?) No other review I read answered that, they just got hand-wavey at that point.

8. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

His reviews are truly amazing. The technical knowledge he has, combined with a smooth and readable writing style make for a great read. I can't want until he releases this. :)

9. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

No one does a review quite like that guy.

They're like a good meal.

10. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

Do what I did: Order now. If the review is one in which it makes you want it even more, it's already in the queue for you. If the review makes you want to stick with your current laptop (or buy something different), cancel the order.

11. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Good plan

12. Moriarty macrumors 6502

I suggest you buy now... you've got 3-4 weeks to decide if you want to cancel before the computer ships. That way you'll get it a week or two sooner should you actually want to buy one. I was on the fence, but then shipping times hit 2-3 weeks and I caved in, haha. I suspect people are still buying the machines faster then Apple can make them. Perhaps I'm just impatient, but it certainly can't do any harm to order now and cancel in 2 weeks if you change your mind.

13. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

There are no UI lag issues once you do the updates.

14. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

24 hours later and still now review. :(

Curiosity level reaching critical mass... I don't really trust any other reviewers.

15. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Did he give an estimate as to when it would be out?

16. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Nope, just:

[​IMG]

I kinda feel like a loser for being all ancy about a computer review, but that's life I guess. LOL... :apple:

17. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

18. Moriarty macrumors 6502

19. Calvinosaurus macrumors member

Calvinosaurus

Just a heads up, Anand posted his full review just a few minutes ago

20. magbarn macrumors 68000

His section about the poor scrolling on the rMBP has convinced me to wait it out for ML before making the rmbp plunge. If ML doesn't really fix the scrolling issue, it will take haswell rmbp before the UI is as smooth as the cmbp.

21. RealEyes macrumors regular

Great review and I agree. I hope this stuff gets fixed soon as it shouldn't even be an issue!

22. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Unlike in the review, I don't have a Narcissusbook... I mean Facebook account,
    but the vast majority of sites I visit that combine a lot of images with text do not have a lag issue.

Websites, such as:

And many others all scroll smoothly.

23. magbarn macrumors 68000

My worry is for how long? If the current GPU is being pushed to the limit with rMBP, then as websites become more retina aware, they'll increase in complexity making it get worse. Even with ML hardware accelerated scrolling, Anand was only getting 20-30 fps vs the cmbp hires getting a solid 60 fps. Many of us here got burned with the underpowered gpu of the 1st gen MBA.

24. stevelam macrumors 65816

the fact that you actually have to list websites that 'scroll smoothly' is already a huge backwards step and is definitely not a convincing way to tell someone else the RMBP is ready for today.