Teathering while on WIFI

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SunnyFL, Nov 18, 2013.

1. SunnyFL macrumors regular

I know I can use my iPad Air as a hotspot while on cellular data but is there anyway to use it as a hot spot while on Wi-Fi? This would be helpful in cases where Wi-Fi/internet is not free.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work.

You have an iPad, that you would buy/sign up for wifi, then you would use this as a hotspot? What other devices would you then tether, a laptop?

3. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I'm struggling too! Surely the other devices you'd be tethering to the iPad (on which you've created a wi-fi hotspot from a wi-fi connection) also have wi-fi so why not just connect them directly to the wi-fi connection?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Poorly explained by the OP.

What I suspect the use case to be is where Wifi is a paid service such as at some hotels. You'd typically pay for each device you connected to wifi, so OP presumably wants to share that wifi connection with other devices.

Can it be done with an ipad? Not in the basic system setup, though perhaps there's an app that would do something like that. Never heard of it, and there's not exactly a lot of demand for such a thing...

5. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

That's the just of it. I have heard of people doing it with Android tablets.

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Hootoo tripmate would work for this. It's such a cool little device.

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

tripmate

trip mate would work if the hotel offered ethernet.

there are two other ways to do this.

either install 2 wifi adapters in your laptop, one to connect to the hotspot and the other to share it with other devices

or

be lucky to own one of the newer intel ultimate n wifi adapters that have this capability built in

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

oh

considering the ipaid air has wi fi plus bluetooth, its technically possible to tether from the wiif to bluetooth. but such apps would probably be banned by apple