Tech Illiterate needs help troubleshooting

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ImRainey, Sep 13, 2009.

1. ImRainey macrumors newbie

I've been using Macs for decades but I really don't understand any of the technology. With that in mind, I have a recipe database program on the Mac called MacGourmet and a comparable app on my iPod Touch called MacGourmet Touch. They should synch. They don't.

I have already spoken to the Mac Gourmet administrator. LOTS of people have -- some eventually get it to work; many, like me, don't. The adiminstrator acknowledges the synching hangup but doesn't have a solution because he can't replicate the problem so I'm hoping someone here can suggest something.

• I have the most current versions of my computer OS, my iPod OS, the MacGourmet and MacGourmet Touch software. The MG administrator says there are no known problems with Snow Leopard.

• I am using a direct cable between the computer and iPod plugged into the back of the computer instead of a hub.

• When I try to export from MG on the computer it doesn't offer me the choice of my iPod as a destination.

• If I try to synch wirelessly the message I get on the iPod is that it's "Searching for servers" and it gets stuck in that loop.

Why can't I just get the image of the iPod on my desktop and drag and drop the file I want onto it?

Thanks in advance for help.

2. thefatmould macrumors member

Are your iPod and Mac on the same network, is the "server" (macgourmet) openon your mac and in the settings of the server is there an option to turn on syncing with iPhone/Ipod Touch
    Also, from the MacGourmet FAQ site:
    Q: The name of my Mac doesn't show up when I have the Sync tab selected in MacGourmet touch. What do I do?
    A: Try quitting and restarting MacGourmet, this will usually solve the problem. Also, make sure that sharing is either enabled at start up, or that you have started sharing by opening the Sharing window from the Tools menu and pressing the "Start" button

3. ImRainey thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done all those things and it says it's synched but it hasn't because my recipes and shopping lists never transfer.

But following the suggestions you quoted finally did get the iPod to recognize my computer. Thanks for that. :)

4. thefatmould macrumors member

Thats Alright hope you have more luck getting it to work soon.

5. ImRainey thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, bouyed by that degree of success I tried it again and the second time they transferred.

Thanks SO much! :D