Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Frankly, most reviews are unsatisfying. I'll be interested in thoughts from John Gruber, Rene Ritchie, and a couple of others.

Really? I would recommend slightly more unbiased views. Renee and Gruber will love the watch no matter what flaws it may have.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Really? I would recommend slightly more unbiased views. Renee and Gruber will love the watch no matter what flaws it may have.

I guess you didn't listen to Gruber's most recent podcast where he and Ben Thompson spent a better part of an hour ripping Apple communications/PR over that Wired story. I'm not sure why you assume he's going to love it no matter what.

I think it will be darn near impossible to get a completely unbiased review. I think you'll have some going into it more optimistically (like Rene Ritchie) and others will be more pessimistic (like The Verge). Plus for those that have a negative opinion of the watch any review that's mostly positive will be considered to have a pro-Apple bias, and the reverse will be true for those who are fans of the watch.

Last edited:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I think it will be darn near impossible to get a completely unbiased review. I think you'll have some going into it more optimistically (like Rene Ritchie) and others will be more pessimistic (like The Verge). Plus for those that have a negative opinion of the watch any review that's mostly positive will be considered to have a pro-Apple bias, and the reverse will be true for those who are fans of the watch.

I agree with you here. I will look at user reaction mostly, and then also DCRainmaker, as his review will be most relevant to me. It will be the compilation of reviews that will help me determine where the watch stands.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree with you here. I will look at user reaction mostly, and then also DCRainmaker, as his review will be most relevant to me. It will be the compilation of reviews that will help me determine where the watch stands.

Btw, just want to mention that Rene Ritchie said on Twitter today that he's used the watch for about one hour but know people that have used it for several months. So not sure if that means he didn't get a review unit or just got one and has just started to use it.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Btw, just want to mention that Rene Ritchie said on Twitter today that he's used the watch for about one hour but know people that have used it for several months. So not sure if that means he didn't get a review unit or just got one and has just started to use it.

Judging from his comments on MacBreak Weekly, he is referring to the demo at the announcement. The people using them for months, I believe are Apple employees he is in contact with.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
The thing is you can't. It's already been stated that the 15 minute tryout sessions will involve a preset demo loop and you won't be able to try out the various functions especially as you would need to pair it with an iPhone in the first place to do so and that won't be possible.

I meant actually touching and feeling the product. All I personally care about right now Is which size fits me better. I couldn't do that with the 6/Plus even though I could print photos out to compare. Nothing beats actually holding the real thing in your hands.

----------

I'm more interested in watch blog reviews as to how this device functions as a timepiece and fashion piece.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
But I think the mobile demo stations are going to let you try out more things. Of course still not the same as someone who's used the watch for a week or two. Those kind of reviews will be most important.

The impression I get is they're not. There is only so much you can do in 15 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.