Tech Question for the Tech Expert

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Inspired, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

Hi Tech experts,
    I am planning to purchase a laptop in the near future and this idea popped in my head that has kept me awake several nights and I finally decided that I should ask the experts. Obviously most people on this forum has somewhat of a background working with technology in some point of their life, and maybe a large handful of you are people that knows when prices goes down and when they go up.

So my question is.... SINCE I'm planning on purchasing a laptop in the near future should I buy it before windows 7 is released or should I buy it after it's released? Since Windows Vista is less of a resource hog on the computer does that mean that specs like RAM and Processors will go down on future laptop releases? I mean they only sell more RAM and better processors because Vista was a resource hog right? If this is the case than would it make more sense if I buy a laptop now so that I can get higher specs for my cash?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you don't need it, I'd wait until Windows 7.

3. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

but do you think the specs for most PC will go down when windows 7 arrives?

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Nope, technology either gets faster at what it does, or it gets a little slower for a smaller form factor.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Absolutely not. Why would the stop developing technology?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Memory/processor requirements have never gone down but rather up. While MS has done a decent job at trimming some of the bloat out of win7, the OS is still a hefty OS that requires a fast processor and a good deal of ram.

You're at a point or will be shortly that if you buy a machine now, you should get win7 for free, but if win7 is your ultimate goal and it should be since it's the newest OS, I'd say wait a little longer, save up more and get a laptop with win7

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Maflynn is right. Dell and HP are offering free upgrades to Windows 7 when it comes out, and I imagine other manufacturers are as well. So if you really need one before October (or thereabouts), you can buy one and still get Win 7 if you don't mind doing the upgrade yourself. Otherwise, just hold off until then.

8. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks For All The Feedbacks!!!!! Thread Close