Tech staff is kinda obnoxious

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SymX, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SymX macrumors newbie

SymX

I recently had a bad experience ordering a refurbished MacBook Pro online from Apple. It all started when I saw that I could get an MBP with 2.8GHz, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD for $1950. I'd debated whether it would be worth it to just spring for a new one, but was reassured by Apple's claims of rigorous testing, etc. so I placed my order on Sept 3rd. It arrived surprisingly fast, and I couldn't have been more excited to crack open the package on the 5th and drop Snow Leopard into the thing -- it apparently had Leopard installed but came with a SL drop-in.

I fired the thing up and my eyes immediately shot to a vertical line of about 6 grayish black pixels coming up from above the "o" in "Pro" on the bottom of the screen. I was instantly pissed; my concerns about buying a refurb hadn't taken long to be validated! I called Apple to arrange for a repair, citing that my display had six dead pixels. My hard-earned money was intended to go towards an MBP with a perfect screen after all, right? The whole process took around 45 minutes, but the rep was helpful and polite, so it didn't really matter much. A shipping box from Apple arrived soon after, which I packed up and sent. Apple received the package on the 10th -- this is where things started getting troublesome.

The following day, the 11th, I checked my repair status to find it "on hold - need info", so I called Apple. The rep on the phone explained to me that the tech staff hadn't found any dead pixels, to which I responded with a chuckle that I may not be as well-versed in tech lingo as they are, but dead pixels or not, there's something wrong with my display that needs to be fixed. She had me once again provide a detailed explanation of the problem, after which I was informed that the repair would resume within 24-48 hours with my new info (which was likely exactly the same). Sure enough, repair resumed later that day, and was eventually said to have been completed on the 14th.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning, checked my e-mail before work, and found out that my package would arrive via FedEx Air by 10:30am! At around that time, I signed for the package, opened the thing up, and once again was disappointed -- Apple had returned the thing without repairing anything, citing that its condition was "acceptable" by Apple's standards. I couldn't believe it. There was that familiar line of dysfunctional pixels staring me in the face.

Long story short, I politely told the Apple rep I was put through to that though the MBP's condition may be "acceptable" to Apple, it's not "acceptable" to me, and demanded a refund with no restocking fee. After being on the phone for a little over half an hour, I was granted a full refund for my troubles. The verdict? Apple's tech staff sucks and the over-the-phone support is thorough, helpful, and reasonable. Thanks for indulging my novel of a post -- it's my first and hopefully not my last!

Oh, and I'm gonna buy a brand new MBP once my card gets credited in about a week :)

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm glad to hear that they gave you a full refund. Apple is sometimes a little infuriating with regard to what they consider "acceptable" or "within spec". 6 dead pixels is beyond a minor cosmetic flaw.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

by "in spec" me ment..."im far to lazy to repair this....take it back and resend it in for another tech to get assigned to it".

they should fire those tech's....thats why apple standard is where it is, they need to fire the shiz out of those techs.