Tech Support Broke my Laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reservoir11, May 16, 2008.

1. reservoir11 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I am making this issue public because I would want some guidance on the issue that I am facing.

I am student in a university and spent a large part of my earnings on buying my first mac (MacBook Pro). After some days I felt that my trackpad stopped responding at times. I went to the certified tech support in my university and asked them about it. The person there told me that I need to update the softwares in my machine and it should solve the probelm. But it did not and then after him telling me that it was normal, I went ahead and accepted it.

Then, I realized that my battery health was never 100% (this is what was shown by that widget software) and to add to it everytime I caliberate it (to this time) it shows me that my battery health has dropped by 1%. I am not sure if I am becoming a little too skeptic about it but comparing my battery health with my fiancee's, her MacBook has retained 100% battery health since she bought it 3 months back.

Now, recently I installed Leopard on my machine but to add to my worries my system at times stopped responding. Also, when I start my system and then start Microsoft Entourage, it usually takes about a minute and a half to start.

I reported this to the tech support guy again and they told me that I will have to reinstall everything after wiping my system. I did it but the problem still stood there. Then I took my notebook to him because he wanted to run some diagonostics on it. So now there was a problem with my optical drive which did not accept his disks. The tech guy suggested me to replace my optical drive.

I agreed cause I thought he is more knowledgeable than I am. Finally, the drive came in and the machine was taken in for an operation. When I got it back, there was a small scratch which was apparent to me because I have taken a lot of care of my machine. To make the matters worse, while fitting the drive he accidently broke the upper shield of my laptop (where we rest our hands and type on the keyboard). Now, my computer does not close down.

I talked to the tech rep to replace this machine for me as it was still under warranty and because I was having a lot of problems with it. He said that I would have to talk to the Apple people as he does not have the authority. I talked to the apple people and they told me that all they can do is to get the thing fixed for me. My computer is with the same tech guy again for further repairs.

So, now I am really uncomfortable on the fact that it was broken by someone else and I have to live with it. Also, there is a problem with it and those people dont want to exchange it for me inspite of me pleading them to do it.

I am not sure if I am entitled to a new product or not but it would be difficult to work on something that I thought was just perfect and now I know that it is ruined and then refurbished.

Can I please ask for your thoughts about this and any guidance on what can be done with this issue?:confused:

thanks.

2. bentoms macrumors regular

It is unlikely that Apple will replace your Mac.

You will more than likely get a new top case for it.

What I think your techguy did was try to remove the top case without removing these screws;

[​IMG]

If that is the case.. depending on the damage you may need both a new top & bottom case.

In regards to the track pad issue, the connector for the keyboard &trackpad can sometimes become loose.

It is only held loosely & the tape holding it can come off.

Below is the connector location.

[​IMG]

So I'd suggest you go to another Techguy or if you have a CaseID for you MacBook Pro i'd take it elsewhere to get it fixed.

Also, take pictures of your Mac before you send it off in case anything else happens.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

just to note,

1. the trackpad issue was supposedly addressed by a keyboard firmware update. If you haven't done that then that could have been the issue. That is why he suggested it.

2. Batteries are all different and are considered consumable. Sometimes you dont get 100%, tis life. My 1.5 month old MBP has 99%, and I havent calibrated it yet. When I do I expect a lower value, perhaps down to 95%. I dont understandy why people think calibration will magically raise the health. Batteries have a shelf life even when not in use. Their health goes down at a steady rate. All calibration does is calibrate the on board chip to recognize the actual run-time of the battery. Whats yours at now? Unless it dropped to 50% health on 15 cycles then its not a big deal. I got my old macbook pro's battery replaced at 11 months when it took a nosedive from 80% to 34% health at 68 cycles in about a week--the battery update killed it.

3. If the tech broke something like the top case on a computer with a warranty, he should have just went and ordered a new top case due to the nature of the part. You may have to wait another day or so for it to come in.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I would go apes:apple:t and demand a new laptop, the tech guy obviously does not know what he is doing, and sounds like he is windows based. Always take your apple products to an Apple certified shop for repair, as I also imagine he has voided the warranty by opening it, not to mention physically damging the unit, and using very windows style practices on it. (wipe and reinstall is very windows)

5. bentoms macrumors regular

Ah forgot that!! (sorry not a mbp owner ya see!!).

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

they way it works is that if the tech is certified, he can order parts under warranty from apple's service site (only available to cert. techs. If you aren't certified you cannot access the site and order warranty parts.) and it looks like he did (superdrive replacement).

Unless the OP paid any amount to get it fixed, then he doesnt have anything to worry about regarding warranty voiding. If anything demand that the tech pay for the fix.

and by the way, if replacing RAM doesnt fix an issue, or the typical repair permissions, PRAM, SMC reset, for a problem that looks to be software related, we always suggest an archive/install. Its safe and easy to do and more than likely will fix the problem (if its software, i.e. kernel panics, slow performance, corrupt data, etc.). Re-installing OS X is not uncommon.

One time i had to reinstall Tiger cause Rosetta was borked. Nothing, from Office 2004, its autoUpdate program would run. No restarts or repairing permissions or reinstalling Office worked.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well you can, but they won't give you one. The warranty was voided by the technician.

Absolutely, any damage would have voided the warranty. Anyway you should always take it to an Apple Authorised Technician for repair. Ditto any other manufacturer.

I dunno reinstalls help on the Mac too...

@OP demand a replacement machine from the tech support guy, he broke it and they should be held liable for their mistake.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it sounds like the OP did take it to an authorized service center, its just that he unfortunately had an inexperienced technician work on it. Any damage resulting from an in warranty repair done by a cert tech is paid by the tech's employer and the computer remains under warranty.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Oh if they are authorised then it'll still be under warranty, but then the University guy should fix the problem, not you.

10. bentoms macrumors regular

Hold on.. hold on... guys..

The campus is probably part of Apple's Self Service Programme & so it 's still in warranty etc..

Also as these are not as strictly checked as customer facing institutes as in Resellers etc... the level of support can be a wee bit lower than normal.

The techguy should be able to fix no worries though.

11. macwall macrumors 6502

Wow that's a bummer. I hope it's still under warranty. Even if he's certified I wouldn't trust these kinds of people to even touch my gear.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only time you an entitled to a new computer is Apple tries to fix it and destroys the machine. Otherwise, you are solely responsible for using an third party authorized repair centers, including the University; it would appear your University repair technician is quite frankly incompetent.

The only solution you have is to get the same depot to fix your issue.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If the tech guy did that... I think he should be fired!

14. reservoir11 thread starter macrumors newbie

The university's bookstore people are certified apple technicians and so they do most of the repairs for others too........ this means that apple might have given them the authority to do these repairs and if they make any mistakes and spoil the machine then apple is also liable to take responsibility...... Please correct me if I am wrong........

The only reason I requested a replacement was because I loved working on my mac and I took a lot of care of it....... but now because of someone else's fault..... I am suffering and using a widows machine again to write this reply........ I just feel bad and unfortunate.....