Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
My hard disk started making some of the dreaded "repeated seek" problem that typically comes before a hard drive fails from bad blocks. So, I thought I would use Tech Tools Deluxe via Apple Care to run a surface scan to see if that was the case. I thought I had it burned to disk, but I could not find it. So, I went to the Apple Care area on Apple's support pages and I could not locate the download. I then tried to talk to someone at Apple Care and the service person had no clue what I was talking about. (I also got cut off in the call and he did not call me back even though he had specifically asked and gotten my phone number.)

So, does someone else have a link that works for getting to the TTD.dmg file? All of my searches on Apple's web site have failed to find it.

I am kind of ticked if they truly pulled this "feature" of Apple Care without any prior notification.

George

Toto_Marten

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, there were some news about it a few days ago.
http://www.9to5mac.com/54636/apple-no-longer-shipping-techtool-deluxe-with-applecare/

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, there were some news about it a few days ago.
http://www.9to5mac.com/54636/apple-no-longer-shipping-techtool-deluxe-with-applecare/

It's amusing that the article makes the excuse of "cloud" and "environment" and the rest. When buying AppleCare in the past, I was always told to go to the download site to get it because it wasn't on CD... I'm surprised they chose to continue packaging for nothing more than a piece of paper, and still do so...

Apple probably let the contract expire, as it was probably too costly to renew...

RvMan56

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Deming, NM
So, does someone else have a link that works for getting to the TTD.dmg file? All of my searches on Apple's web site have failed to find it.

I am kind of ticked if they truly pulled this "feature" of Apple Care without any prior notification.

George[/QUOTE]
George did you ever get it?
I have it. pm

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010

George
George did you ever get it?
I have it. pm[/QUOTE]

Send an email to techtool@micromat.com, and explain your situation. If you're eligible, they may send you a link to download the Tech Tool Deluxe 3.1.4 update. I contacted them last June and they sent me a link to download the app, as I was already a registered user. About a month later I got an offer from Micromat to upgrade to the new Tech Tools Pro 6, a $120 app, for $20.

I think the reason Tech Tool and Tech Tool Dlx are no longer available through Apple is because Micromat has withdrawn those products in favor of their commercial products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.