Tech21 armor case leaving marks on MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kulfon, May 1, 2016.

1. Kulfon macrumors 6502

Hello, guys. Have a question - what should I do in this case? I took the case off today for the first time since I bought it and saw marks that were left by the case. They cannot be removed. Ahat can I do?

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't use the case anymore.

If those are indeed scratches or marks that won't come off, there's nothing you can do, other then not use the case.

3. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, yes....but how is this possible that apple is sending this product that is causing something like this? No warranty?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, the warranty only covers defects, this is accidental damage.

Back in the day Speck had issues where it was scratching the MBPs with its hard case. There wasn't anything those folks could do as well.

I have no idea what could have caused the damage, perhaps some small debris stuck in the case prior to being put on, either way I don't think you have much recourse :(

5. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Tech 21 are a separate company from Apple. You've given us all a reason, apart from good taste, to avoid such products.

6. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

7. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

Does your MBP still work? That's what the warranty is for.
    The scratches are on you, not Apple. The case, and the dirt trapped under it, is what causes the scratches, not a defect from Apple.

8. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not saying it is on Apple. Everything is fine with Apple. I am talking tech21. These are not scratches, these are marks imprinted from the case. I purchased the case directly from Apple Store. There is no dirt, it is the wrong design. Do noone is taking responsibility? I mean tech21 is perfectly fine to produce a case that can damage the laptop aesthetically? Cases are to prevent from scratches, not to cause them.

9. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

Can you find the spot on the case that caused the scratches? I know on my phone if a case has dirt, even small, trapped between the case and phone, it will scratch.
    Though I guess I am curious about the warranty you're looking for? From tech21? I'm sure their warranty covers defects but not the aesthetics of your device. You could always contact them but it's likely futile.

10. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

There are no scratches, these are the marks left bu the pressure of the case on alluminium.

11. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

So what you're saying is that you applied a case that was so tight that it was putting sufficient pressure on your macbook to literally leave imprints in aluminum?

12. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

It looks like dirt. Have you tried cleaning it with a damp cloth?

13. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes....nothing comes off.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    Looks like it....

14. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Hate to say it, but that's on you. If those are indeed indents, there's no way that case didn't feel obscenely tight when applying it. Which for most would be a red flag to not use that product.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Depending on where the dents are, i think you are over-estimating the durability of the Macbook chassis - the bottom lid and the back of the screen are not very thick.

16. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

These are not dents either. These are marks...not scratches, not dents

17. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If they're definitely not dents or scratches, you should be able to get them out.

The MBP chassis is aluminium, short of cutting compound (because you don't want to affect the brushed/matt type finish) you should be able to use reasonably aggressive stuff to clean it with.

Alternatively, get aggressive with it and actually polish it to a mirror finish and have a unique polished aluminium macbook finish :D

18. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Why not:) Starting with a toothpaste:)

19. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Except that if went that far, then the case would be much weaker and more damage prone, as it's the anodising that has the brushed texture, and serves as hard protective barrier.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Manufacturing defects

Apple Warranty

Your Mac was damaged by a non-apple product and thus its not covered, regardless of the fact of where you purchased the product.

I know its a bummer, but there's nothing you can do with regards to your warranty :(

One long shot is to bring it back to the store and explain your situation, the manager, my out of customer service do something but that's a long shot.

21. MrX8503 macrumors 68020