Tech21 Impact Band for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by parrot5, Oct 14, 2012.

1. parrot5, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

parrot5 macrumors 6502

Picture is worth a thousand words...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350263163.925165.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350263180.126382.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350263210.654161.jpg

Like the splash of color that the bumper adds. Also comes in other colors. In case you don't know, this brand calls the orange stuff D3O material that absorbs and spreads the impact force. You can also find a YouTube video that shows someone hammering his own finger that's wrapped with this D3O material.

The volume and power buttons are hard to press, unless you use your fingernails. Not a deal breaker for me, but subtracts some points. Probably it's a requirement to use this type of resilient material for its impact-absorbing property....

The bottom part of the bumper is thin and elastic, so that means you can stretch it a little bit to fit in your big-plug earphones. I tried a Shure SE535 and yes it can be stretched.

The bumper also includes a hard, transparent backplate to protect the back of the phone, but I did not install it. Without the extra thickness of the backplate, the bumper feels just a bit loose. I take it as an invitation to order and install a SGP glas.t or Bodyguardz Pure glass screen protector. :D

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Oooh, I LIKE the look of that! Definitely gonna check it out. Looks sharp.

3. parrot5 thread starter macrumors 6502

It had been available at BestBuy for some time for $40.. I got it at gocellular online for much less.

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Wow, really? I thought I was pretty on top of the stuff BB was offering (I'm a total casewhore and end up buying waaay too many because I like to switch them up so often), but I totally missed out on this one. Did they have other colors there in store as well? I tried looking online but a lot of the company's pages aren't resolving for some reason.

5. parrot5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think they have one more color at BestBuy, the smoke color, although the store hangs them on different racks. This is BestBuy in Canada btw, but seeing US gets a ton more accessories for cheaper I think it's available there too?!

6. vet macrumors newbie

I have this case too! I think the best part about this case for me is the removable back plastic plate. I wanted a bumper with fall protection without covering up the back and this case fits the bill.

I agree with the OP its a little hard to press the volume and power buttons, but you get used to it.

7. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I got the Impact Snap case with cover. Not as much edge protection as the Impact Band, but I'm more concerned about protecting the back from ramming it against desks in my pant pocket. And the cover also has the D3O protection. Happy with my purchase.

8. kidelnino macrumors newbie

Spigen Glas tR

It looks pretty cool :) Can someone please confirm whether it will work with Spigen Glas.tR? Thank you :)

9. jmarkham macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a nice bumper since I got my 5.

Only thing I'm afraid of though is scratching the back aluminum

10. parrot5 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you don't put on the included back plate, I'm sure a glass protector will fit inside.
    Just put it on from the front to the back, so the lip has no chance to get stuck on the side of the protector.

11. cali0028 macrumors member

Checked my local bb in the US (Atlanta) and they've never heard of it. I guess online it is

12. steffi macrumors 6502a

Do you have a picture showing how it protects the port area? Is it open or filled in a bit?