Technical question.. (about automatic startups)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thrash911, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hey ppl,

Using 10.5.4, though this occured while at 10.5.3.

For some days my mac would start itself up at 2:00 o'clock in the morning. I checked what was making it start up, by typing "pmset -g sched" in the terminal. But nothing said it would start at 2:00 o'clock. I have found others with similar problem. One suggested to check the iTunes preferences under Podcasts. I did so, and low and behold.. It said to check for new Podcasts every day at excactly 2:00 o'clock. But it just seems dumb, to make it wake up, to check for new Podcasts! It should only check, if it's turned on..

My question: If you can't see what makes it start up automatically, with the above Terminal command - then HOW?? Where is it stored, that iTunes will wake the computer up to check for Podcasts??

:confused:

2. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Plot thickens...

I was SURE it was the iTunes thing, but it started itself up AGAIN this night at excactly 02:00am. I checked iTunes, and it was still set to NOT check at 02:00am, so it should not be iTunes that does this..

Does ANYBODY have ANY idead, what can cause this?? :(

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

All right, update.. Hope some of you enjoy my little adventure story.. :)

I have tracked down the culprit, and doing some testing, by setting the time to 1:55am and shutting down. The culprit was a little program I installed recently called Slife. What the program does, is unimportant. But in the programs preferences, you can choose to have it automatically check for updates. Normally no harm in that. But for some funny reason, this program starts up the entire machine if it was shut down. This, I still don't get HOW it does??!?!

Beside the program itself, it has a folder in Application Support, and a file in Preferences. How the hell can these files start up the machine?? I'm guessing the preference file is to blame, because if you choose it to NOT check for updates, the machine is not starting up. And that is the preference file.

So.. The program Slife is to blame, if set to check for updates. Problem solved! That's the main thing. :D

But again.. HOW can it start it up!! HOW??! HOW HOW HOW HOW!??!? :confused: :confused: Maybe I should contact the author of Slife..

Thanks for tuning in.. :)

EDIT @ 11:31 - It turns out it is BOTH iTunes and Slife. iTunes Podcast update check needs to be turned off AND Slife update check needs to be turned off. Otherwise, the machine starts up.. So, I guess there is some technical conflict between those two apps..

4. Priyan macrumors newbie

Technical question.. (about automatic startups)

Hi

Could you please tell me as how to track down the program that causes the starting up of Mac?
    I have two accounts in my Mac. As you mentioned in your earlier post I set the Podcasts check in both accounts to „Manual”. But it starts itself sharp 2 a.m.

Thank you