Technical Question (HDD Replacement)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dantheram, Nov 18, 2015.

1. dantheram macrumors newbie

I'm planning on upgrading to a SSD from HDD soon (if i can ever work out which SSCDs will run at 3gb with the nVidia MCP79) and have a query.

I have a few apps i want to keep on the old HDD for ease - they will need re-licensing if booted off the SSD. So, if i take the old drive out, leaving it as it was when in MBP, and simply use it as an external drive, will the apps load as they did previously?

I assume, maybe incorrectly, that they will as, to them at least, nothing has changed.

Thoughts?

Dan

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you've got apps and stuff which are difficult to licence again, it may be best just to Time Machine your hard-drive and restore that to the fresh SSD - or clone the drive over.

If you'll be getting a smaller SSD and be using your external drive as storage, the apps may well load as you've described, though honestly it depends entirely on which app it is -- however the interface over USB means that the performance of the apps will suffer anyway, so it would certainly benefit you to get them installed on the SSD.

The third alternative would be to install a fresh copy of OS X to your SSD, plug in your HDD via USB caddy, and then use Migration Assistant to copy over your applications and any data you want. This means that if your SSD is smaller than your used space on the HDD, you still won't suffer from having to go from scratch, as you can pick-and-choose what to chuck over from your old drive.

3. dantheram thread starter macrumors newbie

the way i understand the apps is that they register to a certain HDD, meaning once cloned they will drop out of license. i think i'll try my method and just see what happens - i think it'll most likely work but you have a point about the performance.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Which apps are these people clone drives on here everyday and have never mentioned this for any of their software.

5. dantheram thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok, maybe i'm worrying too much - photoshop, illustrator and in design

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Those'll work absolutely fine if you cloned the drive.

7. dantheram thread starter macrumors newbie

Great news thanks, i'll post back to confirm.

PS - opted for the Samsung 850 EVO to go with the crappy nVidia chipset

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Microsoft Office, at least the 2011 version, will ask for the Product Key if cloned to a new drive.

9. dantheram thread starter macrumors newbie

everything works fine, thanks for the advice.

PS i'm getting negotiated 3gb SATA II from 850 Evo too.