Technically the iPhone cannot get any thinner

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Just look at the headphone jack. It almost encompasses the entire body thickness. If the phone gets any thinner, the headphone jack hole will be bigger than the phone itself

I think Apple also knows this is the maximum they will go before the camera protrudes even more or the headphone jack is bigger than the thickness of the phone

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Just look at the headphone jack. It almost encompasses the entire body thickness. If the phone gets any thinner, the headphone jack hole will be bigger than the phone itself

I think Apple also knows this is the maximum they will go before the camera protrudes even more or the headphone jack is bigger than the thickness of the phone
They could go the 2.5mm route, or use the Lightning port for auxiliary as well.
Edit: just looked at my 6. There's still ~1mm on each side.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There was a neat patent published a few years ago by Apple for a very this headphone jack that could accept current sized headphone cables.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Everybody should thank this headphone jack, otherwise Apple would make iPhone even thinner and then you could just wrap it around your hand

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

The iPod touch is thinner at 6.1mm and it has the same headphone port.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012

Well.. the headphone jack goes to lightning? Apple just bought a headphone audio company. Perfectly slots in to ensure that business takes off.

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Maybe it'll be time to say goodbye to headphone jacks in a few years. I'd be quite happy to see all headphones move to some super low energy wireless standard.

BT LE is still quite power hungry. I have a pair of Jaybirds, the sport ones, and they really don't last long. And they're crap in terms of the connection dropping out if something is between them (like your body if your phone is in your back pocket).

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
The iPhone 6 is 6.9mm thin. The iPhone 6 Plus is 7.1mm thin. Although the iPod touch is 6.1mm thin, which to my knowledge has a standard headphone jack. So yes, they could make the devices thinner. The iPod nano is 5.4mm thin as well.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Your mistake is assuming that headphones have to be connected to the phone. Bluetooth ear buds already exist. Furthermore, the iPhone can already sync over wi-fi, and wireless charging exists as well. In the near future, there's no reason why the iPhone can't be a completely wireless device with no physical ports at all.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal

BS I want it thinner than Steve jobs looked in the casket.....

What?

To soon?

Ok then thinner than Johney Ives hair line, is that better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.