Technician wants to 'activate' my new battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhnn, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jhnn macrumors newbie

Hello,

so I need some quick help. The battery of my 15" MBP early 2011 has been expanding over the weekend and as I don't have any tri-wing screw drivers or a replacement battery, I decided to look up any PC technicians in my city.

I had this guy remove the battery and install new ones twice, none of them worked. He told me that he had to go to his storage to get some more. I left my laptop at his place and went hope. He's now texted me that he needs access my laptop to 'activate' the battery, 'or else it could die within a week'. This sounded very sketchy so I did some research. Might he be referring to resetting the SMC? I'm logged on to my Gmail and many other accounts, so I'm pretty paranoid. If I had known this I'd definitely uninstalled my ssd prior to giving my MB to him.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

He might be referring to calibrating the battery - one full charge/discharge cycle. However, his claims are bogus.

5. jhnn thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, got my laptop back. I told him that I was not going to give him my password, after which he replied that it didn't matter, because he'd found a backdoor to activate the battery. Hilarious stuff.

Thank you for validating my suspicion. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go activate my desktop's power supply.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yep total BS, just wanted access to your personal data, would have been inclined to "activate" my boot in his ass.

Q-6

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

A few days ago, a guy from my class brought his rMBP over to our room so that I can change the battery.

My roommate thought that he's really cute so she had me called him and asked for his password so that I can "activate" his new battery.