Technique Question: "How is this done"

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by akm3, Feb 19, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

In this Moby video, slipping away, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4SquyS44A4
    There are obviously layered still images combined to look like one photograph, but by moving the layers at different speeds towards and away from the camera, it gives a 3D effect that you are moving into or out of the photograph. They then combine this with panning motions and even some live footage.

This isn't the first time I've seen the technique, but it got me wondering how to actually do it?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You take an image, cut it in pieces in an app like Photoshop, then animate the different pieces (foreground and background for example) separately in an app that can do 3D space like After Effects. You can get a similar effect in FCP, but you'll be more limited in how much of the effect you can achieve.

Lethal

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Is it a particularly time consuming technique? Or does after effects make it pretty easy?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not an expert at it, or AE, but I'd gather that it's pretty time consuming because it's all done by hand. There isn't a filter or plug-in that you can apply that will do the work for you.

Lethal

5. pprior macrumors 65816

6. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Its not too difficult once you know AE, but it does take a little skill and practice to get it to look right. You need to not only cut your still apart in photoshop, but also clone in any missing areas that will be revealed by your camera move. Once you cut up your still, you will position the pieces in 3D space within an AE project. Then you can add a camera and pan and zoom around to give you the 3d (2.5d) effect.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i had to do this in my AE class its a pain in the @$$ but it looks cool. You have to be really precise in PS

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Yes. I do this in Shake a lot.

P-Worm