Technological Advancement vs Design Firm?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Squilly, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Squilly, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Mods: my other threads are closed so I can't repost in them.

Hi! I'm contemplating my two strong ideas and really want opinions. Both niches are popular yet waiting for further growth. Let me ask you something; would you rather work in a field that makes lots of money or something you're passionate about (or both)? I'm pretty sure I've posted my design firm idea before but if not... I planned on it being based around app development, photography, 3D printing, and web design. It's something I'm very new to as a developer/designer, but something i enjoy doing.
    I love thinking of new ideas, technologically, as well. Now, I don't mean to be the next Steve Jobs (lol) but hope for success. The technology in the first Iron Man fascinated me greatly - hell it still does. There are new technologies coming out at an extraordinary rate; something I'd love to be apart of. No matter which I choose, I'm sure I'll love doing it and I know it'll be a tough yet new experience. If you were me, which market would you enter? Developer for the new technologies or creating the technology behind it?
    For what it's worth, I do read over every post in my threads, specifically regarding my ideas. I might be stubborn, but I have put thought into many of said posts. I've had ideas in both areas of interest but not the best at thinking things through. Thus, help please.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Instead of asking us, ask yourself - if you would love either field, why not just do whichever makes you the most money?

For the record, to answer your first question - I'm passionate about making money. So I went into a field I enjoy that also pays fairly well.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Keep studying, especially math.

Work on written communication. Your OP was a beast to parse.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The best answer you will have will be your own.

You basically have 3 options:
    1- Do one first, then decide if you want to stay with it only
    2- Do both at the same time, and then decide
    3- Do none, and continue asking here.

5. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

What do you mean?

----------

Future proof stuff.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The phrase "future proof" is overused, and irrelevant in this case.

If someone is going to hire you, they're going to hire you based on what you can offer them now. Nobody is going to give you money today to hedge against something that might or might not happen in twenty years. If their needs change somewhere along the way, they'll let you go and hire someone else.

If you want to "future proof" your career, learn skills that an employer (or a market, if you're an entrepreneur) wants today, and keep your skills updated as time passes. You'll be fine.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

With apologies to mobilehealthi for presuming to speak for him/her...it means that your writing boarders on the incomprehensible, and that whatever you do, writing with clarity, proper punctuation, and decent syntax is a skill upon which you need to do some work.

I hope that clarifies any confusion on your part.

Once again, apologies to mobilehealthi ...please correct me if I have interpreted your comment incorrectly.:D

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Sounds to me that what your are describing is not a technology company, but a marketing firm or someone a marketing firm would hire to make their plan happen. This is a job where it is equally important to listen to your customer as it is to come up with the worlds greatest webpage/app/brochure. If you like the "bleeding edge" stuff, you are going to have to find customers who want to be out there with you. Otherwise you create material that might be great, but your customer doesn't understand how to use.

Please correct me if I am reading you wrong.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It is so hard to tell, isn't it!:rolleyes:

:D

10. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

My thread was hard to read?

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

There does seem to be some suggestion that the OP post was...how shall I say this...not crystal clear.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, this is what I meant. Although I did not have the time to actually elaborate, and thus my criticism is relevant to my own post. :p

Look, to be honest the OP struck me as muddled and unfocused. It was difficult to understand precisely what you were trying to communicate, although I got the gist of it. Your Iron Man comment is a pure non-sequitur: I have no idea how it fits into anything you were trying to say.

To reiterate what I said previously, I think you need to focus on the basics. Excellent written communication is key. This doesn't matter so much in an internet forum, but no one will ever take you seriously in the "real world" (to say nothing of financing you) if you can't communicate well.

You say you're in college, right? Take advantage of it. Go learn. Learn to write with clarity; learn to present your ideas. If you want to work in a technology field, study math, physics, computer science. Learn to critically think and to analyze complex ideas. Perhaps then you'll be in a better position to identify the flaws in just about everything you've "proposed" in this forum.

13. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

The tech in Iron Man was what I was referring to, to create something along those lines - just to reiterate. And thanks.

14. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Well, Ideally, almost everybody is going to want BOTH. But to answer your main question. I would definitely go with something more fulfilling and respectable. A design firm? I mean sure I enjoy Design. But at the end of the day is it something you can be proud of?

"Hey mom, I took part in creating a groundbreaking website in memory of Steve Jobs using unprecedented coding and implementation techniques."

vs.

"Hey mom, I took part in creating a new technology that will revolutionize the way human travel the earth for the next 1000 years"

15. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Valid argument... but not every invention is "big" either. Look at Facebook, Twitter, eBay, even MR...

16. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I would consider FB, Twitter, & Ebay HUGE. It might not have started "big"... but these websites are the most visited sites on the web right now.

I'm not saying what you invent or help create will be HUGE... but I think everyone should strive for it to be.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What tech in Iron Man are you intrigued by, specifically? And you do realize that Iron Man is just a movie and none of their tech needs to be possible, right? :)

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Like some others are saying, learn to write better first. You can actually do this on your own if you try hard enough.

Scrivener and OmniOutliner are two of my favorites for brainstorming/outlining. They both have trials you should check out. You need to research your ideas, take notes on what are the current benefits/and how they can be made better.

This will not only help you when you blog about your ideas, but it'll also help you for when you post over here about stuff. And then you can take our responses and add them to that research.

And just remember that runoffs are a big no, put some spaces between your paragraphs! :) The only time you do that is when you're writing a double spaced research paper with indents, haha.

19. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I researched it. The technology in the movie isn't all too farfetched.

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What technology are you referring to? Since that movie contained a slew of different technology areas.

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Incidentally, do you know the difference between primary, secondary, and tertiary sources? Are you in a good position to determine the legitimacy of any given source?

22. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

No to first question. Yes to second.

----------

Like the wall of plasma beams and interacting with it. I don't mean the suit.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm sorry to hear that you've never learned about this. This is something I was taught in middle/high school and is pretty important. One wonders what they teach in school these days!

Perhaps you are able to separate the wheat from the chaff (and this isn't always obvious), but the real trick is to figure out which grains are moldy without eating them. Curious metaphors aside, it typically takes plenty of experience and study to get good at identifying fruitful pursuits versus dead ends.

There also happens to be a lot of pseudoscience out there masquerading as legitimate research, and to the lay person the two can be nearly indistinguishable.

I might also suggest that your answer to the second question ought to be 'no' considering your assertion in another thread that HFCS literally coats DNA if you eat too much of it.

24. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm telling you, I saw it somewhere -_-
    Reliable source too.

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Ok.

Let's just assume that's the case. Squilly, how would HFCS go about coating DNA? In what way is that possible?