technologically challenged newbie confused with 10.6 upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NoteBleu, Jun 11, 2010.

1. NoteBleu macrumors newbie

Some help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the dumb questions.
    I have a late 2006 intel imac, with tiger 10.4.11. Recently, I decided to listen to everyones' precautions and backup my internal hard drive (28% full) onto an external hard drive (using rsyncx). Then I purchased snow leopard, and I'm sure there are a lot of articles out there related to this topic, but I can't seem to grasp this stuff I inserted the snow leopard disk, which I have read will indeed upgrade from tiger, and after about the hour long installation, I logged in, but things don't really seem "that" different. I'm not being a critic or anything, but I have a strange feeling that the upgrade didn't fully work, especially because one would think that upgrading two versions up would be fairly noticable. The dock appears transparent and the finder is slightly different, but no new apps. or programs appear in the dock...Pretty much seems like I'm still using Tiger...in fact my computer appears to be working slower even though hard drive is only 28% full.

So sorry for the wordiness I just don't know where to start!
    -Is it possible that I'm using tiger and snow leopard simultaneously? Or part of one and part of the other?
    -How much of a difference would it make if I cleared the entire hard drive like many recommend and then put my files back onto the internal hard drive via my external one? Wouldn't this just put tiger right back onto my computer?
    -is it normal for the external hard drive to (after puting my files onto it) to have almost a GB less than the internal, or could some files be lost?
    -Finally, when I open Macintosh HD in the finder, some of the first things that appear are inaccessible files which I don't think were previously there. For example ".fseventsd" "volumes" ".spotlight-V100" "trashes" and the list goes on. Some are just greyed out, and others have that red circle that means you don't have permission.

Thank you so much if you have read up to this point, Any responses would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You upgraded to the OS. Doing so doesn't give you new applications, those are separate installs. If you want to verify you upgraded go to the Apple menu and click About This Mac. It'll show the version.

The grayed out items you see in Finder are just "hidden" files. They're normal. There have been some threads about these files becoming unhidden for whatever reason. You might be able to track down those threads.