Technology behind Starbucks Wifi Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zainjetha, Mar 11, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi

does anybody here know what drives the itunes wifi music store?

puzzles me how it works coz each starbucks plays different music and i wonder where they play it off and how the source of the music is linked to the itunes wifi music store? maybe they have a server in each coffee shop..

anybody know

2. wrboyce macrumors 6502

At a guess, the mac address of the base station is transferred to the wifi store as part of the request, which in turn queries and returns the recently played tracks..

As I say, only a guess - we don't get such features in the UK :-(

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

each starbucks probably has its own dedicated music server and so when your phone is on their network and you connect to the music store you are just connecting to their individual server. im not good with this stuff so its just a guess

4. wrboyce macrumors 6502

seems like overkill to distribute a few songs.. I think it's more likely that each Starbucks reports back it's played tracks in a last.fm-esque manner and the network you are using is used to identify the particular starbucks you are in.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah like i said i am not knowledgeable on this, just giving my $ .02, but what you said seems more logical

6. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

I'm still wondering why they haven't rolled this out in Los Angeles yet? This was supposed to happen by end of February in Los Angeles (according to Apple; by March for Chicago) but none of the Starbucks I have been to have this working yet...