Technology dummy - Montevina: worth waiting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fstfrwrd, Jun 10, 2008.

  1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #1
    i've been following the discussions on this board lately about whether to wait for an MBP update or not.

    i need one at the start of the academic year to come.
    (oct/nov at the latest)


    so correct me if i'm wrong, but this is the stuff i've been reading:

    - the next MBP update will be 'montevina'
    - no case redesign / major updates until 2009 (can't afford to wait that long)

    now, i'd like to focus on this 'montevina' update.
    what is it, exactly? a slightly faster processor? or is there more to it?
    cause if it's just a processor gives you 2.7 instead of 2.6GHz (example), then i'm not waiting. not unless there's a significant difference/improvement.

    thoughts please?
     
  2. wchong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Location:
    Miami, Fl
    #2
    it all boils down to the size/power consumption/performace ratio. the FSB is faster (1066 mhz i believe), and some early reports of the chip states that there was a performance gain of 25%.
     
  3. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #3
    what's a FSB?

    and for a 25% performance gain, i'm willing to wait.

    so you reckon montevina will come out before oct/nov, right?
     
  4. wchong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Location:
    Miami, Fl
    #4
    wasn't there reports that the chip was due to come out in july? at this moment, i highly doubt apple will incorporate this chip until jan 09 at macworld. perhaps coupled with a case redesign.
     
  5. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #5
    so no updates at all until january 09?

    if this is true, i'm buying my MBP tomorrow.

    can anyone back this up please?
     
  6. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #6
    FSB = Front Side Bus, a increasing obsolete technology that is connection between the CPU and the Northbridge.

    As with these gains they are only for high performance applications, not regular stuff like email and web browsing; of course if you don't need a computer now, then it's worth waiting.
     
  7. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #7
    i'm an architecture student, so i use some pretty intense graphical apps.

    will i notice a difference when using these then?
     
  8. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #8
    no one really knows when the next update will be so just wait as long as you can, come back read the first page of the forums, see if anything is mentioned about there being an update in the next week then buy
     
  9. ddoonie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #9
    I'm with you on this... I am trying to figure out if it is worth the wait for this upgrade. The most intensive apps i use are photoshop/dreamweaver etc.. dealing with, say 5gig files... Possibly video down the road.

    I would read the specs/interpret them myself, but i'm pretty much a novice in the technical area of these chips...

    As the OP, i can wait a couple months, but not going to bother if these gains are barely noticeable...

    Thanks!

    ps.. are the CPU's soldered, if not, would it be possible to swap in a nehalem cpu down the road?
     
  10. wchong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Location:
    Miami, Fl
    #10

    cpu is soldered. not possible to swap it with nehalem down the road.
    for what you want the current mbp does the job very well. i was like u, waiting for the next big update. i just couldn't wait any longer and got it yesterday.
    i'm going off to med school in july so i need the laptop now. i'm confident that it will last me for the next 4 years of school plus 3 of residency.

    so, buy it if you need it, or wait if you don't. but the current mbp will satisfy your needs for the years to come.

    i'm so excited i get the mbp tomorrow.
     
  11. wozza macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    #11
    I am also an architecture student, starting in sept. I was going to get a Macbook Pro for my birthday in may. I was wary because of the WWDC and all these people saying wait, wait, wait. I was so confused what to do. It was my birthday so wanted it then, i was happy with the current machine and the power was perfect for what i needed. (Having said that i was coming from a 1.2ghz celeron dell laptop, the battery lasted 3 mins and with 512mb RAM it took about 10 mins to load photoshop and about 30 mins for AutoCAD!!)

    However, my thoughts were, the macbook pro machine is perfect, it is fine as it is. If nothing happens at WWDC then i would be waiting for ages (and it didnt, so i would still be waiting), so I didnt. I maxed out my spec and hopefully it will get me through my Part I.

    2.6Ghz, 4gb Ram, 250gb HD (500GB Time Capsule External Hard Drive), 15" Glossy, 512mb Video Card.

    This will last me fine. Photoshop opens in about 5 seconds and i get about 5 hours battery.

    Do it. Buy It and DONT regret it.

    Just my 2p.
    Wozza.
     
  12. tunakuja macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #12
    Agree with the comments on buying now. Montevina is a chipset upgrade with increases in processor speeds but doubt they will offer more than 5% changes in terms of processor speed and will probably come out in sept/oct based on previous experience ready for holiday shopping season.

    better off buying now that's what I did
     
  13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

    rockthecasbah

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Moorestown, NJ
    #13
    As a previous poster (that i forgot to quote :p) mentioned, nobody knows when the release will come. Signs point to earlier than January '09 for a release because the current generation of MacBooks and MacBook Pros have used the same processors for some time. The Back to School promotion is seen by most as a maneuver to move excess stock of old computers so new models can be released. Waiting until January is too long in my eyes. I'd look for a release in late September or October, either at a special media event or just a quiet update on Apple's website.

    To the OP, buying the MBP is dependent on your need. If you need a computer now, buy now. Playing the waiting game may cause you to get burnt by a later-than-expected update. If you don't need the MBP until the fall, the best advice would be to wait because Montevina will be a significant update for the MBP :)
     
  14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #14
    Its not worth waiting for the montevina but Nehalem will be well worth it to update.

    Nehalem will be the upgrade that you can actually *feel* the difference in speed increase. And Montevina will feel pretty much the same.
     
  15. ddoonie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #15
    Sounds good, will buy mine tomorrow/thursday! With the next purchase being post nehalem!

    Thanks for a little confirmation guys!
     
  16. adamjbradley macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #16
  17. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

    Westsider 4 Mac

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the West Side
    #17
    Buy it...

    ...when you need it. If you need it today, buy it.:)
     
  18. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #18
    how many days prior to a release (montevina for instance) is an update usually announced?

    in other words, when will i have closure?
     
  19. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

    mankar4

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #19
    apple updates and releases their products simultaneously most of the time when it is just processor/hardware changes. only with big updates do they announce and release later. this next mb/mbp update will be a refresh, i'm guessing, with major changes coming in the next update with nehalem. With a July 14 montevina release date (but you can bet apple's working with montevina 'developer builds' today), I'm guessing an update in August. I am waiting till September.
     
  20. Nikklaus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    #20
    Whatever happens, I'll need a Macbook Pro for the start of September. I have the money now, and I've been so close in the last 2 days to just going out and buying a current model, but ultimately I don't want to buy one and have Apple release a new one the next month. So I'm going to wait. I think.

    I'm most worried about the drop in value a new MBP would mean, as I've considered buying one this year and upgrading next year when a stable revision of Nahalem is released. And I know that another MBP between now and then would devalue mine. I'm still confused. I'd hate to wait at this point and have nothing released in August.

    Help!
     
  21. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

    Westsider 4 Mac

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the West Side
    #21
    I scooped up...


    The current Penryn Model because I needed a 15 inch screen for work. It has been a joy to use and own. I am willing to bet that you will be able to sell any current MBP after the refresh and get good value back. In order to take some of the sticker shock out, go the Apple store refurb section route. Same warranty, far less pricey.:apple:
     
  22. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #22
    i've been considering this as well.
    but what downsides are there to buying refurbished macbook pro's besides that they're not new?
    will there be any wear marks on the laptop or even scratches?
    or will it look/work like a new one?
     
  23. ddoonie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #23
    From my experience with Mac Refurbs, they work and do look like new with the same warranty as a new one...
     
  24. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

    Westsider 4 Mac

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the West Side
    #24
    Not...

    ...in my experience. Mine have been delivered looking brand spanking new. Combine that with the same warranty as a "new" model and I am sold! Penryn MB & MBP models are popping up on the Apple refurb sight so you can purchase the exact current model for many dollars/euros/pounds/ etc., less than new.
    :apple:
     
  25. Nikklaus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    #25
    Ok so the refurbs are cheaper but surely don't hold their value well in terms of resale? Or would you sell them simply as if you'd bought it new?
     

Share This Page