TechShell is Garbage!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cybergypsy, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Well this is my 2nd one, bought the first and scratched up my macbook pretty bad, so maybe they are a bit better now or maybe i did something wrong?????? Bought a red one and followed inst. to a T. still scratched my macbook and when i was removing it, it cracked. I wrote to the company and never even got a return email, great Company LOL.....from now one i am going to stick to soft cases, ...no more Techshell for me!!!

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I use a Speck Seethru and it really seems to rock :p

3. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Maybe i need to try one.....

4. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

If your first one was bad, why did you buy another one? :confused:

5. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Thought it might have been something I did, like installing it...so gave it another try

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Out of curiosity, how long did you have it before it scratched up your macbook.

You do realize it's not a "set it and forget it" solution right? Even on the Speck case (which is identical to the techshell) in the instructions (provided anyone is smart enough to read them) it does say to periodically take the shell off and clean both surfaces inside the speck case and outter of the macbook to clean off any dust/dirt that may get trapped inside so that it doesn't scratch the macbook.

I'm pretty sure (though I could be wrong) that techshell has similar instructions. If you only had it a few days who knows. We don't know the extent of your scratches (where they are, what they look like etc) so it's hard for prospective buyers to make their own decision. Some people like the techshell.

I have a speck for my wife's macbook and it rocks. The reason I didn't get a techshell is it's lack and poor quality openings for both venting and the ports.

7. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

yes I did take it off to clean, I will try to post pics of the scratches it caused....

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

LOL to be honest I'd be skeptical of ANY company out of Pensacola. LOL j/k. I'm from Fort Walton and most of p-cola is sorta run down. I only visit a few parts of it when I do go.

If their case had some 'burs' inside (plastic parts that weren't shaved off/sanded off) those would have definitely scratched up the case.

9. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I just sent them another letter, we will see what happens, cant believe it cracked so easy

10. marks47 macrumors newbie

I've posted a few times on the forums about our product when it comes up... This seems to be a reasonable thread to post a reply.
    I did receive her email when she sent it. When I answered, I hit reply, and it went to the address of our web email form and never got the bounce message. So as I said in a direct email to her, that was my mistake.
    I'm sure a follow-up email or phone call (we have a toll-free number on our website) would have been adequate, instead of waiting a month and posting like this, but I guess some people think the squeaky wheel gets the oil...

As for buying two Techshells.. Totally unnecessary. Our warranty is for a year. There's not a Techshell out there right now that's not covered for a problem in manufacturing. That's the only way I can imagine one got cracked. They're hard to break deliberately, let alone by accident.

In most cases, a shell with a problem is replaced within a few days of the complaint. Usually, we do not require it be sent back, just a photograph showing the defect or damage. No need to waste shipping packaging or fees on a product that can't be repaired or re-sold. We feel this is a pretty customer-friendly policy.

As for scratching, kkat69 is correct that at least a little care needs to be paid to what is between the shell and the laptop. Obviously, the laptop needs to be free from dust/grime/sand/whatever before the shell is put in place. Periodic cleaning is a wise thing to do, as well.
    We put so many shells on and off our (personal and business) laptops so often, I'm quite sure we'd be the first to know if the shells were causing scratches on their own. My 4 year-old 12" Powerbook G4 looks brand new.

I hope this will help clear things up.

Mark
    Techshell

11. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I will post the pictures of the scratches and the broken shell soon also making a website, that will give others a chance to show and tell, google techshell

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm always quite pleased to see companies coming back to offer assistance and eloquently defend their product. However, at some point to say that you, Techshell, found the post reasonable, then take a cheap stab about the squeaky wheel getting the oil seems a bit unreasonable. While the defense of your product is reasonable, your response to the consumer as a whole won't drum up much more business for you. I hate to say it, but that's the best way that I can.

It is apparent that any "shell" type product will require some care. My Agent18 case on my iPod has caused light scratching as dirt got in and I failed to clean it periodically. However, was this information shared? Many people would like to stick a cover on something and forget about it. Perhaps what is apparent to you and me isn't apparent to all.

Commenting on what the scratches look like isn't really prudent as we don't know exactly where and how large the scratches were. I would say there is a reasonable amount of scratches then there are unreasonable scratches. We can consumers and you as a professional undoubtedly can tell the difference between the two.

I'm not sure that I disagree with Cybergypsy and her post. While you say it's a month later perhaps she spent a reasonable amount of time waiting on your reply only to find out there would be none. Your defense is that she should have called. There could be a myriad of reasons for her not calling or perhaps her e-mails sufficed in her mind and she could have expected since the ball was clearly in your court that you may call.

Reasonable and prudent business practices would suggest that you as a company would attempt to offer resolution, even after the so-called reasonable and squeaky wheel post as you kindly pointed out. It seems like that is still on the table but I still do not find the OP to be unreasonable by any means in this case.

Just my $.02.

13. feyn-man macrumors regular

Where is your website? Let me see your product.

14. iMouseHD macrumors regular

http://www.techshell.com/

No affiliation...I use a Speck-See Thru...just google happy...though I give the guy some credit for responding.

15. feyn-man macrumors regular

Oh, the picture is too small. Can't have any idea about these shell.

16. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I did send him all my info but after a few weeks really gave up, He has offered me a replacement with proof of pictures, however I will Pass on the new shell and continue with my website i am building about my and other people having the same problem, I have gotten over 10 emails....so once everything is up and running I will direct anyone looking for a hard case to decide for themselves ......I have invited anyone who has had a bad experience with this product to list it and post pictures...The funny thing is he never responded to my emails until I started this post.

17. ToddJ macrumors 6502

on your Techshell case, does the plastic part above the superdrive slot, does it bend easily? when I am using the multi-touch pad, i keep on hitting it with my hand or wrist and it bugs the crap out of me. I wonder if it would be easy to cut that part off and still make it look decent (and still be structurally sound?)

18. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Dont take any chances, get an Incase hard shell. I havent heard of those doing an scratching. But alot will argue that speck is good, but they had lots of reports of severe scratching. Incase, best bet

19. Boiler macrumors regular

tact?

Marks47:

Is it your company's policy to be condescending to customers?
    Or are you just personally pretentious?

20. Benjic macrumors regular

Jesus, lay off the guy will ya? You guys would complain if no-one posted anything, cut him some slack. And the thing about the squeaky wheel is completely correct, no one mentions the possible hundreds of cases that were replaced without a hitch, just the ones people have problems with.

21. ToddJ macrumors 6502

also, has anyone tried to just cut off the part above Superdrive and use it without it? if so, was it structurally sound?