techtool deluxe vs onyx????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluedoggiant, Feb 9, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Does techtool DELUXE do everything that onyx does, such as the maintenance, and the clearing caches? Or is onyx a totally different thing?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

how about techtool pro? does it do the onyx stuff?

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

i've just took alook at techtool + there's alot of things in there that onyx
    doesnt do ie back up critical data but it doesnt look like techtool pro runs
    maintenace scrips or clean caches .if you want to buy techtool pro why
    not have both installed ?

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Well I have techtool deluxe (applecare), and wanted to do some maintenance. Is onyx the best out there? Which is the best freeware maintenance app?

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Personally id say onyx is the best out there (freeware) it does what it says on the tin and
    most people on here would recommend it

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Would you say its "popular" and "known"?

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes it is, i ve also heard of anotehr one really good as well called "maintenance" never used it myself though but some people swear it's betten than Onyx

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

yes i would say it's popular and very known,as the above posted maintenance
    is another one i use but i still recommend onyx(i use both)

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you are not running Time Machine, then you may need to recover files on occasion. TechTools Pro, TechTools Deluxe (free with AppleCare), and Disk Warrior may solve a problem. File System Check (fsck) in single-user mode does a fantastic job of repairing all but the most critical hard drive problems. However, since the introduction of HFS+ Journaled, I find that routine maintenance is a waste of time. I have OnyX installed, but rarely use it. I never use the other utilities.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have found Mainmenu to be a very reliable maintenance tool. I prefer it over Onyx.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Best freeware? Knowledge.

Remove the junk from ~/Library/Caches & /Library/Caches. There, caches cleaned.

Run scripts by hand:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

There, scripts run.

13. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

What are the scripts? And I want to delete all the .ds store files as well.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The scripts are used to rotate logs. They can be found in /etc/daily, /etc/weekly, and /etc/monthly.

You know, .DS_Store files serve a purpose.. but if you want to remove them:

sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -delete

15. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Oh, But im still clueless on the scripts thing!!!

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What do you mean? What do they do?

17. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Do I just delete Everything in the folder?

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

19. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Ok, just wasn't sure if there was anything important in them. thanks a whole lot. I will do this till i get my hands on onyx and see what it does (look more closely into it), otherwise this is great.

20. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Why do you want to delete the cache files? They are built for a reason. Constantly deleting them can actually make your Mac run slower.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some great comments already made.

I would add, that if you have a HD problem, and need to recover data or maintain your HD, there is nothing better than Spinrite.

As of now, you will need a PC to run it.

From personal experience, it has recovered files/HDs that any of the Mac products could not accomplish. A wonderful piece of software, but not free. Let me tell you, the first time you have a HD that has gone south and is not due to a hardware failure, and nothing works to recover your files, you will really appreciate Spinrite when it completely fixes your HD.

Totally awesome! :)

22. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Some of them are ancient from apps that you had ages ago, so delete the whole thing and it will rebuild eventually. I saw stuff in it that had to do with apps i used to have installed, useless waste.

23. iconz113 macrumors newbie

best ones

ok let me break it down for you, typically when there is a harddrive failure, or you need to recover lost or deleted information, or for any harddrive maintenance at all your going to want to use either techtool pro, drive genius, or disk warrior. Despite its looks diskwarrior seems to be the best at producing results when disaster strikes. These utilities are used when all other avenues that OSX itself provides are exhausted (disk utility, osx install disk). Issue number 2, When it comes to OSX maintenance the operating system itself performs alot of it, but once in a while you may encounter an issue. For trouble shooting purposes only you may utilize an application such as onyx to clear caches because these caches sometimes contain errors causing the problem. However normally these caches help your computer to to run faster, so deleting them just for the sake of deleting them is pointless. But for when you do need an app like this the ones I like the best are cocktail, leopard cache cleaner, applejack, and mainmenu. There are others but I was attracted to these when shopping for one. These applications verify preference files, and caches looking for errors within them, rotate log files, run maintenance scripts, verifies harddrive, and fixes permissions. Again only used for trouble shooting and not run regularly. These do the same thing for the most part but also have small differences, try them all and find the one you like. The biggest differences in my experience was 1) applejack in a utility used in singleuser mode, when u hear startup chime hold command+s, when single user mode starts type applejack, this is good for when u cant load OSX. LCC also installs utilities for single user mode as well as utilize clam xav's virus engine for scanning files. Cocktail has the ability to auto restart or shutdown automatically after running maintenances, and mainmenu runs from the menubar allowing quick access at all times. Those are the differences between them, the rest of the actions they can perform they share in common. If you must have one of the features I have listed you know which one you need to get.