Techtool S.M.A.R.T test Question.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by punknart, Nov 29, 2009.

1. punknart macrumors newbie

Hi. I just did this test in my macbook pro 2.8Ghz with Techtool Pro 5. In the picture you can see the results.

[​IMG]

If you can notice, the SPIN RETRY COUNT parameter is the only one that is low. I dont really know if this is a problem. It passed the test at least, but Im not sure if this is affecting my laptop. Does any one know what is this? should I worry? Should I take it to an apple store. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

pd: I forgot to write that Ive been experiencing some freezes of 1 or 2 seconds. Im for example scrolling a window in any browser or even the finder and it freezes for just that time, its nothing but is annoying. Also when Im transfering a file to the trashcan it takes the same time. My macbook is pretty new, It just has 2 months old. Im a bit worried as its an expensive laptop. Since the macbook is new , yesterday I did a full re-installation of the software (Snow leopard) but it still behaving a bit slow.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The SPIN RETRY COUNT should be small or zero. That is a sign that the drive is physically healthy. You might still have file system damage, though - so let TechTool test the drive more thoroughly.

3. punknart thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I let techtool do this? I think I already did all the tests. It passed everything. Not bad blocks, no failures in the memory. There are like 10 file structures that are damaged. But I dont know if they are relevant. Do you think this files may affect the mac?

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

drive makers have done studies and S.M.A.R.T is crap. most of the time it reports bad info. it's so bad that HP server support now makes you pull a "bad" drive out and put it back in to make sure it's bad.

i had a drive go "bad" in a server over the weekend and went to the data center on friday. pulled it out, put it back in and in 30 minutes the RAID was rebuilt and it's still working. and it's not the first time this happened to me.