Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
How can I download Techtool from apple? I have apple protection, I just can't find it on the website.

JHummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
TechTool Deluxe is not compatible with Lion, which is why you don't have it. For Lion compatibility you need to purchase TechTool Pro 6. Is there a particular issue you're trying to resolve?

My computer is running slow and I was hoping to run the program to see what I could do to fix it, or at least diagnose it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My computer is running slow and I was hoping to run the program to see what I could do to fix it, or at least diagnose it.
For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
  • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
  • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
  • Look at what widgets you may have running.
  • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
  • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
  • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

JHummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I checked all of those places, and they say everything is fine, but my computer still runs slow.

JHummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I was able to find the program on the Apple Protection Plan disc that I got with my computer. It is a little glitchy, and it says so when you start it, but it still works well for my purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.