TechTools Pro or Drive Genius?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oacory, Oct 12, 2011.

1. oacory macrumors regular

I am looking to get a program that is a disc utility application and trying to figure out which of these two programs are better. The only review that I found that pitted these two programs together was using earlier versions of the two. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I think DiskWarrior trumps both of those, but if you want to choose between those 2, then I would go with DriveGenius.

3. oacory, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

oacory thread starter macrumors regular

I actually heard DriveWarrior was the worst of the programs that do this with DiscTools Pro included

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

TechTools Pro and Disk Warrior are different animals with different purposes. TechTools Pro is a general maintenance utility suite. Disk Warrior is a file recovery utility that performs its magic by rebuilding the directory structure of your drive. Both of these have excellent reputations of long standing. Drive Genius may be OK, but it is very much johnny-come-lately. That said, if the OP is looking for a routine maintenance utility, then he should reconsider. Routine maintenance of MacOS X is unnecessary and should be avoided. Use TechTools Pro and Disk Warrior to solve genuine identified problems.

5. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I concur. DiskWarrior has saved me more than once.