Teen wants to start filming?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ComicStix, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ComicStix macrumors member

Hey guys! Well as it says I am a freshman looking to start filming. I always dreamed of making videos and becoming an editor/director and become part of the youtube top dogs, but I just don't know how to get there. I have a tripod, JVC GRDA30U camcorder, and Final Cut Express. I do some things on the side like filming random things like me skateboarding but I want to start to do shorts. How would I get my friends to help? It would be kind of weird to just ask them, "Hey do you wanna do a movie?" And my parents are kind of iffy on the idea of a youtube channel. I really like writing scripts and planning things out but would that seem weird to make a script to a short movie? Thanks for reading this guys!

-ComicStix

2. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

The best thing you could do is to start writing a short that is within your means, both technically and cast wise. Make sure that you can do it. It'll be good for practice. Pass the script on to your friends and ask them if they can help you out and buy them pizza in return. That's what I did for a while and it worked out great.

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Does your HS have a video production class? That was helpful for me.
    Once you get the basics down (weather through class or just messing around), just do it. The more you just make movies, the better you will get.

4. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

They do but I already filled out my program of studies for next year and didn't put it on because of recommendations from friends that the class wasn't very good. Maybe I will try to get into it next year.

5. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Seeing as you have already filed out your options for next year, see if there are any extra-ciricular activities that you can do after the school day finishes. Or maybe go to out-of-school clubs, see if there is a paid class that you can take/enrol in on the weekends maybe.

Worst comes to worst, get a couple of final cut/video camera work books out of the library. Maybe do some extra study into script-writing that kinda stuff
    :)

PTP

6. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

any chance that you get to make a video for a class project do it. This allows for classmates to be used as the cast. although it wont be something that you wrote you can still be creative and get your feet wet.

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

A very important thing is NOT TO GET LOST IN TECHNICAL DETAILS.

Everybody can buy equipment. What makes a video (like most intellectual material) different is the creativity, originality, the underlying thoughts... these things are not about a particular type of camera and software. Human mind makes good films, not good cameras. Some low-budget films are just so much better than mega-sized blockbusters.

I'm not saying that equipment is not important... but if you have something, just do whatever you can with that equipment and experiment. That will take you further than learning basic stuff about equipment.

It might sound stupid, but if something is really worth filming, the idea might be entertaining even on the cheapest camera. Idea first, technical issues second.

About having a short film... it can be a daunting task. If you really want to produce decent quality, you have to put a lot of resources and sweat, arguing, influencing people into the project. Start with small projects first, then move on. With small projects, you might already find the technical issues that will have to be addressed.

Good luck!

8. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Very well said.

In the end, it's about telling a story. Don't let technology get in the way of that. It should add to it.

9. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

So you guys are basically saying substance before style? Sounds good. All I need is ideas now. LoL

10. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

At first.

11. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

"It would be kind of weird to just ask them, "Hey do you wanna do a movie?" And my parents are kind of iffy on the idea of a youtube channel. I really like writing scripts and planning things out but would that seem weird to make a script to a short movie?"

You used the word "weird" twice and I can't imagine why you would think it was unusual to ask your friends for help. Bottom line is simple. If you like to write, then write. If you want to film, take a cheap camera and start shooting.

In the 80's I and some friends started a film club called the Kinetic Image Film Group. We were just a bunch of wanna be's with no experience, no equipment, no money. But we did have talent. It's something you are born with. We got together twice a month at the local savings and loan office and soon we had close to 15-20 people in our little club. I bought a Super 8 camera from a pawn shop for cheap and everyone would kick in some cash for film and developing. We would all go out on a Saturday and shoot. Then watch what we had shot during our next meeting and critique it. Were the camera angles correct? Could the lighting have been better?

We became really good really fast. And we made a little commercial for a small business. It got us written up in the paper. That attracted a guy with more money than time on his hands. He gave us money to buy a used 16mm and 35mm camera. We thought we had died and gone to heaven. Do you realize how much those cameras cost in those days? We soon outgrew our rented space and found some small industrial building to rent. We all pooled our money. All for one - one for all.

We somehow manage to find an Oxberry animation stand for cheap and then we were set. We started making commercials left and right for businesses, radio and TV stations, etc. Then our big break came when we made the AMC Midnight Movie Express Trailer. It was a national spot that garnered us an Emmy and got us written up in papers. That lead to more work and more Addy awards. Then AMC asked us to make a sequel which really took off.

Short end of the story is we all came together because of a love for cinema and writing. We wanted to toot our own horn. And we did. We were all different people but had that common denominator that held us together as a team. We had a blast. After a few years we disbanded and some went to California and made names our themselves (you would recognize the movies). But it was those early days when we were wet behind the ears with no money that was the most fun.

To put a different way what has already been said: remember that the audience doesn't see what is behind the camera - only in front. So it doesn't matter what equipment you use, how cheap it is, or if it's 70 years old with fungus growing inside. Put your money, your talent, and your hard work in front of the lens. That's what the audience wants to see. They don't care if you used a Panasonic, Eclair, or Canon camera. They just want to be entertained.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

See if they have a "club" that meets after school.