Teenager iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bigyella, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Bigyella macrumors member

Hello, I am thinking of buying my daughter an iPhone 4s for her upcoming birthday. You know how teenagers are about using data. I am lucky enough, that I have unlimited data on my iPhone. But I would have to add a line, for her, and sure I cannot get that option for her. Is there a way to cut off her data, if she starts to run over? Thanks.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Exactly how old is she? Because shouldn't she be responsible enough not to run over, and if she does, stop using data? It'd be good for her ;)

3. CrosshairDF2 macrumors member

If you are with AT&T then you can get AT&T Smart Limits for Wireless.

http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-SmartLimitsForWireless

OVERVIEW

AT&T Smart Limits for Wireless is an online service that enables you to provide your children with the freedom and security of a cell phone while setting sensible boundaries for its use.

FEATURES

•ENHANCED FEATURE: Block incoming and outgoing calls and text messages - now up to 30 numbers.
    •NEW FEATURE: Block calls to 411 Directory Assistance (including 555-1212).
    •Restrict times of day the phone can be used for messaging, browsing and outbound calling.
    •Set limits for the number of text and instant messages allowed per billing cycle.
    •Choose a dollar limit for downloadable purchases (ringtones, games and more).
    •Select the amount of web browsing/data usage allowed per billing cycle.
    •Restrict access to inappropriate content with content filters.

COST
    $4.99/month per line

4. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.. Thats what I was looking for. She is 13. Its just the data that concerns me. You know how teenagers are and checking FB, every 10 seconds. She has an iPod now, but she has to be on wifi, to do anything. :D

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I can bet you that she won't go over the data limit. Checking FB uses very minimal data. I would be surprised if she went over even 1gb of data.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The cool thing is that when she's at home she'll be on Wifi, which won't count towards her data cap. And she's be at home a lot of the time, right?

7. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Yes.. I am a good dad. Seems that is what, you are getting at anyway. She is home with me. But, she does go to school, and she does go other things, that is not home.. :)

8. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Tell her for every 10 megabytes over the data limit, she loses the phone for an hour ;)

SHe's lucky tho... you sound like a nice dad. If I got an iphone 4s for my bday at 13 I'd be over the moon.

9. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

I would also set up the find my phone app before you give it to her. Teenagers tend to lose things at school or get them stolen. Five minutes can save you a couple hundred bucks!

10. Tnnrx7 macrumors member

Heads up Bigyella, Smart Limits does NOT control data usage for iPhone.

11. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

LOL.. she has been begging.. I tell her its never gonna happen. But, I am a softy, She has done really great with keeping up with her iPod for 2 years, so I might just do it. I have a iPhone 4, and I am not gonna even upgrade myself. so she will have the latest and greatest, if i decide to do it. ... Well actually, I have already decided. I will see if I can pick one up in the AM, at some place. Thanks guys. :)

----------

So true. I have already thought that through! :)

----------

Really? So its not much use to pay the extra 4 bucks? Seems that its another way ATT, can get ................. Well, I hope your wrong.. :D

12. Tnnrx7 macrumors member

I work for AT&T *sigh* and I know for a fact Smart Limits does not control iPhone data usage. Text notifications will be sent to the line at 60%, 90%, and 100%. Your best bet is to suspend her line at 90% until the next bill cycle :)

13. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Can I get those text to my phone? or only hers? When you say suspend her line, are you saying I do it myself, (like kicking her butt) or I can set it up, where ATT does it automatically :confused:

14. Tnnrx7 macrumors member

It's not a situation of AT&T trying to get your $. Smart Limits is mostly geared towards phones that use "Media Net" making the control possible to stop the data - the iPhone is independent in this sense.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to have the notifications sent to any other line on your account other than the one going over.

Tell your daughter to let you know if she receives any of these text messages to keep a grip on it. Or you can also monitor the data usage of her line on your att.com account.

You can suspend lines yourself by dialing 611 and following the prompts, doing it on your online account, or calling customer care.

PS. I think it's great that you are allowing your daughter to experience and use technology we have today so kudos to you. It's just a matter of teaching her life lessons in a different way, and you being responsible to make sure she doesn't go crazy :)

15. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I bought her one. Another question. I added the find my iPhone app. For 2 reasons, to find the phone, if she looses it, and to find where she is. I have my iCloud Id in her phone., so I can track it. But she can simply change the settings, or delete the (find my phone app), if she wants to be mischievous. I am not really worried about that, but as any parent knows, its a great tool to have. Anyway to hide the "find my phone app" or any work arounds on this? BTW, I love Siri. Might have to upgrade myself over that feature! LOL:confused:

16. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

im getting one and I'm 13 I am crying right now because my country does not have iPhone 4s yet but this is normal for me if my dad bought me another mac then i would be over the moon

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not worry about data. Facebook takes very little data and just track it online. I would not be surpise if her monthly usage is under 300 megs a month.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I have a ten year-old grandson that has an iPhone and he loves online gaming and netflix movies, and the good thing is, I get an alert when he gets near his 2GB limit. His mom is notified and she deals with it. He hasn't gone over b/c of the alert and a mother that really helps us out to limit his data usage...:cool:

19. TLewis macrumors 65816

No, to make sure she's safe, you want to install Apple's "Find My Friends" app on her phone, enable it for 24x7 tracking, and go into Settings->Restrictions (on her phone) to disallow changes to Find My Friends.

20. lionqueen macrumors 6502

If my parents tracked me and told me straight up, that'd be one thing. I'd deal with it. But if I ever found out they were spying on me without me knowing, I don't think I'd ever look at them the same way again. If you're going to track her, at least be straight up about it. Tell her it's the one caveat to having the phone. But don't spy on her. Would you want to be spied on without your knowledge, even if the person doing it was doing it "for your safety"?

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

Agreed. However, when my kids start asking for an expensive iPhone, Find My Friends might be a (fully-disclosed) requirement. Whatever I install or do, they'll definitely know about it. On the other hand, I'd probably have to allow them to track me, too. :eek:

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm 13 and have an iP4.
    I am usually very good with it, no scratches or anything and haven't dropped it.
    I'm on an unlimited data plan, as I had a tendency to use over 1GB a month, now I average 2.5...

I have found a way to make money off having an iPhone. At school, I sell people a tethering connection via personal hotspot for £1 a day... Fun times :p