Teenager Needs Suggestion on 'Easy' Professional/Productive Program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dingdongbubble, Jul 4, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

OK my question might sound really weird but please help me out. My summer holidays have started and I have too much time on my hands. I feel a bit bored.

Can anyone suggest an EASY to start professional/productive program like Photoshop (its not easy but its productive). I tried Dreamweaver, it seems easy but I need to put in more effort into it. So can you please some other program?

A program with an easy interface plz.

2. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

So...I'm guessing that you're only talking about photo editing? The more "features" that you have in the program, the more complicated it will be to use. I suggest GimpShop as a free, open-source program that is about as feature complete Photoshop. The only thing is that it requires X11 to be installed, but that's not at all painful.

Is that all you had in mind?

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

No No actually

Well I knew my question was a bit obscure. But I will try again.

Think of it as though I go upto a friend who is totally into professional programs like Adobe CS3 and anmation and multimedia and stuff. I go upto him and tell him that I am kinda bored. Tell me some easy program to start and it should be easy to learn, has an easy interface without too much jargon etc.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your question is not obscure, it is indecipherable. You need to state the goal that you are trying to accomplish and, possibly, the tasks required to accomplish it. The thing that you need to understand is that no app can do everything. The traditional Mac paradigm is the exact opposite. The Mac paradigm is to assemble a suite of limited-purpose apps which do a few things or even one thing well. You see this with iMovie and iDVD. You see this with iPhoto and Preview and with Mail/Address Book/iCal. This is deeply within the DNA of the Mac going back to the 1980s. Windows is very much hobbled by the MS-DOS paradigm where every app has its own formats with are incompatible with every other app. This meant that apps on that platform were the "be all and end all" in their respective categories. Windows is not nearly as bad in this regard as was MS-DOS. Neither is Windows nearly as good as the Mac in this regard.

It may very well be that your needs can be satisfied by the apps that Apple bundles with MacOS X. However, we will never know unless you say what your needs are.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You want a professional program to develop skills on, but you want it to be extra easy with an easy interface and no jargon.

Like saying you want to be a body builder but you don't want to lift any of those weights or sweat.

You don't get to choose your tools based on how easy the interface is. You choose tools that are industry standard so your skills will match the industry.

There are dozens upon dozens of tutorial sites on the web for programs like Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

Assuming you have legal access to Photoshop, then, start with that. Choose one or two of the tutorial sites and work through them. The better ones have projects that you can do. And.or, set yourself a project to do as if you have a job: A good way to start is to take an existing poster or magazine ad, and then figure out how to replicate it.

Adobe used to have a series called Classroom in a Book - check and see if that is available still.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What about writing or drawing? If you're any good at those, you'll get a better feeling of accomplishment from that then you will from learning a pro program one summer.

Write a short story, and then run with it, see what you can do.
    or... learn how to animate. Get used to 3d apps. Choose a basic one, I think google has one, and learn that. it'll teach you the basics, and later on one day if you choose to, learn a "pro" one, but the basics'll be the same (more or less)

7. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Misterme:

Maybe you didnt understand but with my second post I made my point quite clear.

CanadaRAM: I dont want an extra easy interface. Like Dreamweaver, it is a pro program it has jargon, but it isnt extra hard like Maya and is quite manageable. I have the Classroom in a book for Dreamweaver. I like DW a lot. But I was just wondering if there is another program out there which I can start like I started DW.

Do you know any website or book where they give me the images and material and I just have to follow them step by step and I learn in a practical manner like the Classroom in a book?

Can you tell me the name of Goole's 3d app? Thanks for the feedback!

8. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Google has a nice interface and can be very professional :rolleyes:

(first three results for "google 3d" give you the answer you're looking for)

As far as answering the original question, you must learn Photoshop if you want to do image-based design. You must learn Maya if you want to be taken seriously as a 3D artist. You must learn After Effects if you want to do motion graphics. Notice a pattern? These programs are standard for a reason.

Dreamweaver is a lame and hideously-designed app, but it's used by a lot of people (formerly self included). Honestly, learning handcoding is always going to serve you better.

I've dabbled in web design/graphics since I was 10-- there is no excuse for not learning the standards regardless of complexity or perceived difficulty.

9. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a