Teenager Sells $130,000 Worth of White iPhone 4 Conversion Kits

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The New York Observer reports on Fei Lam, a 17-year-old student from Queens, New York, who has turned a connection to parts producers for the white iPhone 4 into a six-figure business in just a few months.
According to Lam, who speaks fluent Chinese, about six months ago he was able to make a connection with Apple's infamous overseas supplier. "I knew a guy from a few years back that had somewhat of a relationship with folks in Foxconn," Lam told The Observer by email.

Lam created a site, whiteiphonefournow.com, to sell conversion kits that turn regular iPhone 4's into their elusive white version.
Riding on the publicity generated by tech blogs and mainstream news sites alike, Lam has reportedly managed to sell over $130,000 worth of the conversion kits since August, currently pricing the full kits at $279 for a front and back panel, as well as a white home button.

Lam's success has not gone unnoticed, however, as he has now received a letter from a purported private investigator claiming that Lam is trafficking in stolen goods. Lam intends to secure the services of a lawyer to defend himself against any possible action.

Article Link: Teenager Sells $130,000 Worth of White iPhone 4 Conversion Kits

NeroAZ

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
Stolen goods or not, nevermind that - but $300 per kit? :eek:

Why not just buy a white case?

it seems a bit pricey, but if i read correctly, the front glass includes retina display and digitizer. so...

>White iPhone 4 Front Panel (Pre-Assembled)
>
>- Retina Display
>- Supporting Frame
>- Front Glass
>- Digitizer/Touch Panel

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
sorry, but I will never put a case on my iPhone. It was made to look sexy as it is, naked.

Cases just ruin it.

I think the iPhone 4 looks great without a case....but it drops calls without the damn bumper!

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
It smart for a teen, who is close to my age (20), to get into contact with a friend to get duplicated iPhone 4 cases in white, The look on the back looks original from Apple. I see Apple suing him for selling copy right infringement material. That would suck for him. I also see a issue for a Foxcomm employee letting material go out the door and Apple would get pissed over that. Apple has no power against the people. Only thing they can do is say "Oh well." :D

ikir

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I think the iPhone 4 looks great without a case....but it drops calls without the damn bumper!

It doesn't. My and my friend's iPhones 4 have no problem without cover. Stop the paranoia and FUD.

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Good Luck

Good luck to that kid. He'll need it seeing Apple's recent track record with cases like this.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Quote:

Lam's success has not gone unnoticed, however, as he has now received a letter from a purported private investigator claiming that Lam is trafficking in stolen goods. Lam intends to secure the services of a lawyer to defend himself against any possible action.

If the PI is from Apple, or WHEN Apple does get involved, I predict the kid will be on the Lam pretty quickly! (Sorry, couldn't resist!) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Kinda wonder if this "PI" is even real...

Since the story broke, the guy's website has been posted across every tech news site around.

Fact of the matter is that I am sure that this situation has netted him a few more sales.

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
So a 17 year old can do it but a gigantic company with $50 billion lying there can't. Seems logical to me. :rolleyes:

Wake up Steve. Seriously.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Kinda wonder if this "PI" is even real...

Since the story broke, the guy's website has been posted across every tech news site around.

Fact of the matter is that I am sure that this situation has netted him a few more sales.

I'm sure it has too. But you just KNOW it won't go on. Apple people read all those tech sites too and know all about it now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.