Teenager Targeted by Apple in White iPhone 4 Lawsuit Interviewed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we reported yesterday, Apple earlier this week filed a lawsuit against teenager Fei Lam and his parents over Lam's sale of unauthorized white iPhone 4 parts, alleging trademark infringement and dilution. At the time, we noted that Apple had simultaneously filed a voluntary dismissal of the case, suggesting that a settlement may have already been reached.

But in an interview with Fast Company, Lam reveals that he knows essentially nothing about the lawsuit, having learned about it only as reports spread through the media yesterday. Lam notes that a settlement has not been reached, but it will obviously be a topic of discussions apparently set to be held between Lam and Apple's lawyers "within the next month".
Q: When did you first find out about the lawsuit? Did Apple call or send a letter?
A: I came back from school today and saw your email. Lol.

Q: So have your parents mostly been handling the case then?
A: I told Apple's lawyer that I'm sick and to meet when I get better. That was last week. I'm [sic] been handling the whole thing

Q: So you have not settled?
A: I think that will be decided in the meeting.
According to Lam, he no longer has a lawyer representing him in the case, as he is unable to afford one. Consequently, he says that he will be meeting alone with Apple's lawyers at their offices in New York City.

Lam notes that he did not make $130,000 in profits as some reports have claimed, although he declined to specify exactly how much he made from the venture or where those profits have gone. The initial report on his business noted that he had sold $130,000 worth of the parts, but it is unknown how much he had to pay his Chinese supplier for them.

Article Link: Teenager Targeted by Apple in White iPhone 4 Lawsuit Interviewed

spiritlevel

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quite a good idea going on his own I reckon. A roomful of apple lawyers Vs a a kid... They'll have to tread lightly and tell he's been a very naughty boy.

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
The fact that Apple filed the lawsuit and then immediately and voluntarily dismissed it probably means that Apple is doing what they have to legally protect their trademarks without opening the door for others, while still going easy on this kid.

Sure the kid did something wrong, but I think this case probably warrants a stern talking to, a threat of really pursuing damages if he does anything like it again, and a request for an apology.

Apple's primary focus here should be protecting their trademarks from infringement by others by going on record as having filed suit. Apple has nothing to gain by seeking monetary damages. However, the kid who did this has something to learn about dealing in obviously stolen parts.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The fact that Apple filed the lawsuit and then immediately and voluntarily dismissed it probably means that Apple is doing what they have to legally protect their trademarks without opening the door for others, while still going easy on this kid.
That and Apple is likely putting pressure on him to give up information about who sold him the parts. I think it's completely naive to think that Apple is going after this kid to make any kind of point. Imagine if you had a $130K+ debt to Apple and they were willing to dismiss it completely if you ratted out your sources. I imagine that's where Apple and their lawyers are going.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2009
Apple couldn't release the white iPhone 4 when they said they would, and then a teenager figured out a way around it -- and now they are suing him?

What a joke.

Tazzy531

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
What is this kid thinking going up against corporate lawyers without any representation? Apple lawyers nonetheless.

Take whatever money you made and hire a lawyer.

Heck, find a lawyer that will do this pro bono. What junior associate would not jump at the opportunity to defend someone against Apple's legal? It's a win-win situation for the junior lawyer.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Sure the kid did something wrong, but I think this case probably warrants a stern talking to, a threat of really pursuing damages if he does anything like it again, and a request for an apology.

Apple's primary focus here should be protecting their trademarks from infringement by others by going on record as having filed suit. Apple has nothing to gain by seeking monetary damages. However, the kid who did this has something to learn about dealing in obviously stolen parts.
My best guess is exactly the same. Apple is not going after money, they obviously didn't "settle" before creating the suit if they haven't even discussed settlement. So it's pretty obvious that they aren't playing hardball with a teenager.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
What is this kid thinking going up against corporate lawyers without any representation? Apple lawyers nonetheless.

Take whatever money you made and hire a lawyer.

Heck, find a lawyer that will do this pro bono. What junior associate would not jump at the opportunity to defend someone against Apple's legal? It's a win-win situation for the junior lawyer.
I wouldn't even bother bringing a lawyer, the suit is already withdrawn...there's not much to fear at this point, if you think about it.

PhilLam

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
That and Apple is likely putting pressure on him to give up information about who sold him the parts. I think it's completely naive to think that Apple is going after this kid to make any kind of point. Imagine if you had a $130K+ debt to Apple and they were willing to dismiss it completely if you ratted out your sources. I imagine that's where Apple and their lawyers are going.
Hi,

This is Phil. I thought I would try to answer some of the questions you guys might have.

I already surrendered pretty much all the info including sources, email messages, IM chat logs, to all the invoices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.