Teeny tweak to prevent "oops" upgrade to 4.0.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spamdumpster, Aug 12, 2010.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

BIG GIANT EDIT: If you do this, Cydia will not allow you to install, or will force uninstall of Saurik's patch for the pdf exploit. This is because the firmware requirements are either < 3.2.2. or =4.0 or =4.0.1. Thus, if cydia thinks you're on 4.0.2, it will uninstall or not allow install of the patch. Just do what dhlizard says in the next post. He is smart, and I am dumb.

Tested ONLY on iPhone 4, not sure about other iDevices. Use at your own Risk

This will make iPhone think you're on 4.0.2., so it won't prompt you to upgrade.

Using iFile or SSH or DiskAid or PhoneDisk or whatever,

1. navigate to System/Library/CoreServices
    2. open SystemVersion.plist
    3. edit value of "ProductBuildVersion" to "8A400"
    4. edit value of "ProductVersion" to "4.0.2"
    5. save & respring or reboot

iTunes will now show that you're on 4.0.2

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Even easier, when iTunes asks you if you want to upgrade, checkmark the box that says "Don't ask me again".

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats it.

4. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point, but you and I both know that someone without his hashes backed up will find a way to screw this up -- this adds another layer of protection in case someone presses "Check for Update."

On the other hand, the accidentally upgrade crowd, is as unlikely to mod SystemVersion.plist as they are to back up their hashes. My method will also prevent appstore issues if apple forces apps to run only on 4.0.2 before 4.1 is released.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Uh oh, I just accidentally upgraded, too late. :eek:
    :)

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Anyone who is too lazy to take 5 minutes one time after jailbreaking to start backing up hashes could probably screw just about anything up.

I guess they pay for their lack of attention to details.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, hope all those "accidentall" upgraders learned their lesson before with 3.1.3
    It takes a few more steps and clicking yes and accept along with downloading 600MB+ of an update to be called an accident IMO :)

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ok but my question is somebody that can't figure out to select the Don't ask me option is going too be able to hash into to there phone. :eek: Don't ask seems better, maybe they could have a friend click it for them. :p

9. Black Vegeta macrumors member

QFTMW!

10. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

BIG GIANT EDIT: If you do this, Cydia will not allow you to install, or will force uninstall of Saurik's patch for the pdf exploit. This is because the firmware requirements are either < 3.2.2. or =4.0 or =4.0.1. Thus, if cydia thinks you're on 4.0.2, it will uninstall or not allow install of the patch. Just do what dhlizard says in the second post. He is smart, and I am dumb.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

op we all live and learn no harm no foul. If I were you I would report your thread requesting the mods close it. this will help somebody from accidentally thinking this a good idea before it's to late. ;) the mods will respond best if you report it and request it.

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The people that own iphones and jailbreak them yet still manage to accidentally update, aren't going to do this. There is too much reading and thinking involved ;)

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

We have a new batch who have never owned an iPhone.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I look forward to all that:)

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

I was betting we have the 1st accidental update post late night. they will be here soon enough though!

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Already a bunch on the DevTeam blog. So sad (not really, especially when they claim it was an accident, which most do)

17. Ey35train macrumors newbie

Thank you spamdumpster!

Speaking from the perspective of one who "accidentally" updated to 3.1.3, this teeny tweak seems to work on my 3gs. I had completely discharged my iPhone and the next time I went to sync, iTunes prompted, “An iPhone has been previously synced with this computer”. Before I chose restore from backup, I wanted to try and insure against receiving a message that before restoring you must upgrade. Fortunately, the restore completed without a hitch and iTunes says I have the most current software. So kudos to you spamdumpster for this teeny tweak!!!

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

Can I advice you read a whole thread before patting a guy on the back. let me jump to one of the good parts for you.

we actually asked to TS to close this thread because people don't like to read entire threads. Along with when when iTunes asks you if you want to upgrade, checkmark the box that says "Don't ask me again. ;) why is this so difficult for everybody?