Tegra CPU

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Jun 19, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Why did Apple not go for Nvidia's sexy Tegra? http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/19/zune-hd-has-a-tegra-processor-confirms-official-zune-podcast/

When the ZuneHD is out the iPhone & Touch will really look dated. I'm not saying the Zune has better features but in terms of the CPU (also plays 720p out) the Tegra is so much better.

On another note while i'm not necessarily fan of the Zune it seems that the iPhone GUI needs a bit of a revamp. It's starting to look a bit clunky. Especially the blue top bar and buttons.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Please provide technical reasons.

i.e

Processor speed using industry standard benchmarks
    Wattage used

Thanks

3. slapppy macrumors 65816

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I meant the design. It's not really clunky but it's starting to look kinda outdated. Some parts of the UI look really clunky and flat, especially as mentioned above the top blue bar, buttons, settings for example.

I'm not saying we should put in tons of transparency effects but a little new polish wouldn't hurt. The UI design is now what 3 years old?

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

You can read up more about it here http://www.engadget.com/tag/Tegra/

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

So ..you created a thread asking why Apple didn't use the Tegra processor yet you don't know enough about the processor to discuss further. In fact

Is an incorrect statement for the most part. The Tegra is based on ARM 11 which is a decent chip but ARM's Cortex A8 is a more sophisticated chip. Had you gone to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

You would see that the iPhone 3G was ARM 11 based and the 3G S is Cortex A8 a newer design of course.

So you're basically asking us to get all excited and wish for a chip that is slower than the one people are toting around in their 3G S.

protip: Do a modicum of searching and gathering basic info before the next post and it'll save us all a bit of time. ;)

Enjoy your weekend.

7. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

lol ok my bad then?

What's all the fuss about the Tegra on all of these blogs then?

Well at least it can play 720p out and the iphone not.

8. The General macrumors 601

Why would I carry around several gigs of 720p video to watch on my 480x320 screen? And when would I ever plug my iPhone into a TV to watch videos? Would does that, anyway? :rolleyes:

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It's cool dude I had forgotten that Tegra was ARM based as well until I searched. Appleinsider has a post about how the iPhone "can" do 720 HD but they locked it in at SD resolutions. My guess is that they wanted to keep the video to a decent size and maybe save the HD output for when the iPhones inevitably offer a digital output.

You know Apple...always playing their cards close to the vest. The Tegra is nice ...I wonder what Nvidia has in store for Tegra II?

10. randomusername macrumors 6502

The iPhone line hasn't even been out for 2 years.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Actually one of the sites the tore apart the 3GS said the chip onboard was *capable* of video conferencing and 720p video.

I doubt we'll see 720p on the 3GS, probably on next years model.

12. slapppy macrumors 65816

That's the feature check list syndrome affecting him. Yes the iPhone 3GS can easily play out 720p. But why? So that I can plug my iPhone on my AV or a friends AV system to watch HD movies. Um no, my iPhone stays with me not plugged into a dock for a few hours. No to loading 3gb movies on it either. That's just plain silly.

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

How about if you could play 720p games through connecting your iPhone to the HDTV? ;) It's not silly.

When the ZuneHD comes out... the Touch might look dated, but then it hasn't been updated yet. Neither have the iPods.

The iPhone looks simple, because in part it is. Doesn't mean it isn't powerful. Yes, APple doesn't provide as many tweaking parameters etc, but that's there way of doing things. Having it simple, accessible means that lots of people can get and use the iPhone quickly, and pretty intuitively.

14. Haephestos macrumors regular

Th tegra isn't just a CPU. It is a full SoC with CPU, GPU and RAM integrated on one chip