Telcel and the iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EbonLight, Jul 22, 2008.

1. EbonLight macrumors newbie

I'm going to be in Mexico for vacation next week, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to get the iphone 3G down there. I know how the most expensive plan is around $77 USD and the phone would be aroudn $209 USD.
    Now my questions are the following:

1.Does that plan include the voice plan?
    2.If not how much is the total plan voice + data?
    3.How much are the cancellation fees?
    4.I'm a current AT&T user with a blackjack 2 and I have the unlimited data plan. Would I be able to use the iphone I purchased from mexico once I cancel the contract with my AT&T sim?

Thanks for any info.

2. candan9019 macrumors regular

Firmware 2.0 has not been unlocked yet, only jailbroken, so this would be a bad idea. You might want to wait until there is an unlock solution or until ATT offers the iPhone without a contract (unless they already are not to sure about that)

3. EbonLight thread starter macrumors newbie

so even if I cancelled the contract the phone would still be locked to telcel?

4. candan9019 macrumors regular

As it is right now, yes unfortunately. There are people working on a software solution to unlock it though, but no word on how long it will take.

5. EbonLight thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, that's fair enough.
    I still need to know the total cost of the phone (phone, total plan, cancellation fee)

6. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

What would the benefit of purchasing the iPhone in Mexico be?

7. EbonLight thread starter macrumors newbie

The cost...hopefully. This is why I'm asking these questions. It might be cheaper than buying it in the states and then cancelling. The cancellation fees are the most important point.

8. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure the cost is higher than in the US, plus how do you plan on purchasing a iPhone in Mexico if you don't live there? If it's anything like here you need a whole crap load of stuff just to get a contract, and I haven't seen anywhere that says they are selling them without contract in Mexico...