Telekenisis

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BrownManUPS, Feb 23, 2008.

1. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Okay so I checked this out, and it is the coolest thing ever. I'm curious is this just some glorified SSH/VNCish app? How is it doing this?

The other thing is, here is my set up:
    Macbook is connected to the ethernet right now, and I enabled network sharing and so with my touch I am using it to use the internet...though I could be using the internet everywhere.
    I am using my ipod touch and typing in the IP address manually, so it looks something like: https://xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu:5100/

This works all fine and dandy, but could be a pain if my IP were to change. And the address looks messy. Question is, how do I get the xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu part to play nicely with a service such as dydns.com? I have already created a service, but I am unable to use the service. And what I mean is, I tried typing in my new service account: https://mythingy.homeip.net:5100/ and it won't find the server. Am I doing something wrong?

Also also, are there any other programs that allow remote control of your mac that is a native ipod touch/phone app? Like there was a program someone posted about a touchpad application...anything like that as a webapp?

2. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

PS, for those of you interested in the program, you can find it here. It is a mac application, that I think just acts as a special VNC server:

Telekinesis

3. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Oh and, I thought I'd share some cool things:

===========
    There is a full terminal application. If you want to have some fun with it, use the following speech command:

sudo osascript -e 'say "i am watching you" '

On the mac, terminal will open, but the person won't know what is going on.
    ===========
    There is a camera button preinstalled, that is a lot of fun
    ===========
    You can watch videos and stream music straight from your files (but it is unprotected streaming, so make sure you network is secure). The function is initially off but its a matter of a button to fix that.
    ===========
    There is a VNC application, which allows you to click, left click, drag, and input text. If you want to "enter" however, you can't.
    ===========
    Pretty good itunes remote on it, but alas, the volume buttons are a bit shady. I hope they fix this!!
    ==========
    You can view ALL of your files, all of them. Can't "write" to the computer yet, except if you use the VNC to open word on your computer and type using the pathetic input device. It is a great way to make some small notes if you really have to, however.
    =========
    There is a full finder on there too.
    =========
    It is BLAZINGLY fast, surprisingly. It can run on EDGE and does a decent job as well.

Overall I think it is the most amazing webapp for the iTouch yet.

4. EdwardsNH macrumors member

Webapp!?

I was reading this thinking this is nice, but I don't want to jailbreak my Touch.

Need to get a Mac too. :rolleyes:

5. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

It's a webapp...so therefore you wouldn't need to!

And yes, you do need a mac though.

6. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

I tried to do this, but every time I hit go on my touch, it would ponder for a while, but then say "server stopped responding". The program is running on my mac, and I've fiddled with the sharing preferences, but I can't get it to go.
    p.s. when the program is not running on my mac, my touch instantly says "could not connect to server", so it's doing something, it's just not working fully:confused:

7. z0n3x macrumors member

8. kepner macrumors 6502

I found that you can use https://your-mac-name.local:5100/ if your Touch and Mac are on the same network, so that you don't have to type your IP address. But that won't help if your Touch and Mac aren't on the same LAN.

9. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

I've been using this for some time now, and although I like it very much, I think I'm going to try out remote buddy (sucks it not free though :) ) Its just, Remote Buddy seems it may be a little more responsive, and better developed, as I have found a few things about Telekinesis I wish were a little better (such as the remote). However, I do believe that this program has a lot of potential, and have enjoyed using it a lot (especially around x-mas, and my mom has a mac -- very useful :D )

10. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

I can't offer any advice or help on the program itself, but if you want to clean up the long and complicated URL just go to www.tinyurl.com

At that site you can enter the long URL and it will convert it to a short URL, something like http://tinyurl.com/xxxx

This works with any URL of any length.

11. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Yeah I have heard of this, but it isn't the URL length that bothers me, it is really the fact that is I can't connect to the computer when it is plugged into a different network via the ethernet and then I'm trying to access it using another network.

So, if I have the ethernet cord plugged in and I share my wireless internet (turn on internet sharing, share through airport), connecting to it is simple using that REALLY long URL. But if I am connected to some network via the campus internet, and my computer is connected in the dorm through the SAME campus internet (just a different dhcp setting?) it won't connect.

I know nothing when it comes to networking but I wish I did so I could diagnose this problem.

12. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I'll try this out, and if it does the job in 30 days it is def. worth paying for.

13. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Okay so here's the setup.

I have a DyDNS account and installed the automatic updater for it for my mac, so now my IP address is constantly reported to the dydns servers, which means that in my theory all I would do is http://xxxx.homeip.net:8888 and it should work...but it just timesout...what else am I missing?

Also, I tried http://xxx.homeip.net:5010 for the telekinesis app, but that doesn't work either...

14. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Update!

So you have to be on the same wireless access point for the AJAX connectivity to work OR telekensis to work due to network complexities (subnets, dhcp). Now I wonder if I could possibly get wireless networking back in my dorm and use the same network name to connect...hmmm.

But, at least I know its possible

15. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I find that this app is an absolute battery drainer. :mad: It also gets my iPhone to heat up real fast. It's great, but I can't play with it for more than an hour either from 3rd degree burns or the battery will go out.

16. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

Alright... I am now able to get somewhere with this app, however, it is asking for a name and password because it is a secure website. I tried leaving it blank, but nothing happens. What do I have to put in for username and password??

17. akhentek macrumors member

akhentek

i like this app a lot

particularly enjoyed taking snapshots via the camera

the remote control is a great feature,
    really fun controlling airtunes with it

it is a web based app though,
    not as responsive as a vnc connection

will stick with it until something better is out

:)

18. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Use the iPhone Remote that runs on your Mac to set the username and password for it to work.