Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
I'm no financial genius, but surely it would be a lot cheaper to give them cell phones, rather than land lines?

Especially considering the surrounding terrain and how far out they are.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
absolut_mac said:
I'm no financial genius, but surely it would be a lot cheaper to give them cell phones, rather than land lines?

Especially considering the surrounding terrain and how far out they are.

I'm no financial genius either but do we know they've got power? If so is it by generators or power line?

If it's by power-line how did it cost $700,000 to run cable?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Really amazing that in the 21st Century any community would be without phone service. I hope that this is the last community in this circumstance. Hopefully now they will also have access to high speed internet service of some sort.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
They should call the phone company next week and ask when DSL will be available...

yukon8170

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2004
And...

Apparently this was one of the last places in the country to receive phone service. It just goes to show how people in Louisiana (my state) can live their entire lives without having to talk to anyone who doesnt live in their community. It really makes us look like country hicks who dont even have a phone, let alone know how to use one. :rolleyes: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.