telephoto lens at a baseball game not allowed?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rweakins, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

Last Sunday I went to an Atlanta Braves game and was told at the gate my canon 70-200mm f4L lens wasn't allowed because it was longer than 5"?!?! They allowed it in that time but said from now on no lenses of 5" or longer will be allowed in. I thought was somewhat ridiculous. Do you think this is a ploy to force customers to purchase pictures or more of a security risk?

2. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

I'll bet it's a financial motive masked by the "security" theme...

Nice lens, BTW.

3. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

yeah it just seems ridiculous to me. I would at least been a little more understanding had this "rule" been posted or published somewhere but there was no warning.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm sure you can find it in writing if you look.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

And if you can't find it in writing anywhere, fight them on it. Ask them to explain why they don't want your lens in there. Maybe it's not official policy, just some midlevel manager's thing.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's funny - I was just reading about this (if I can find it again, I'll come back and link it). The problem, according to MLB anyway, is that people are bringing pro equipment into the stands, taking photos of the game, and then selling them. You can't actually do that.

It's all part of that boring disclaimer that goes something like "the description and images of this game, the players, etc. are the exclusive property of Major League Baseball and cannot be used without permission". They don't care about your personal photos; but they do care if you're trying to cut in on their action.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/atl/ballpark/guide.jsp

8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this will eventually spread to basketball and football.

My friend was looking into a telephoto zoom lens to buy. These were the three he was considering. The 70-300 DO was the bottom of the list due to cost, but there is something to be said for a smaller lens.

70-300 IS: 5.6" long
    70-200L IS: 6.8" long
    70-300DO IS: 3.9" long

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The last few concerts I've been to (don't really go to stadium sports) here in the UK have all had clearly worded bans on all SLR cameras regardless of lens attached. You can still bring a super-zoom P&S (or perhaps a rangefinder)...

10. agrayphoto macrumors newbie

Your going to see more of this as all the pro sports leagues attempt to protect their "brand". As ways of distributing images becomes easier it cuts into their attempts to find more ways of marketing their own content. I would expect them to become even more aggressive as image tracking methods become more sophisticated.

11. Fallencircus macrumors member

I know what you mean about it being stupid. I tried the same thing at a San Jose Sharks game and there you cant take in a lens bigger than 6". I am sure it has something to do with contracts they have with the sports photographers or card companies.

12. Chubby Cox macrumors member

I think you guys are reading too much into it. If I buy a ticket, the last thing I want is the guy next to me swinging his 400mm lens all over the place just so he can get a close-up of Mark Teixeira chewing on the laces of his glove. I'm sure MLB has an interest in protecting their brand, but ultimately I put it in the same category as umbrellas / huge hats / getting up in the middle of the inning...it's really just inconsiderate to those sitting around you.

Flame away:D

13. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

to be honest i find the ball park vendors more distracting then the people around me trying to take pictures of the game. I understand it's illegal to sale the pictures but if the pictures are being taken for pleasure while you're at the game what's the difference.

14. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

although thinking about it i can see where people with no interest in photography find the picture distracting.

15. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Just out of curiosity, was the lens attached while you were trying to enter the ball park?

I wonder if a cased lens, at the bottom of a camera bag could make it in.......

16. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

i didn't have a lens attached. i rarely leave one attached while my camera is in my bag or traveling. the lens was only visible from above and it was setting in a vertical position. they made me remove it so they could see how big it is. i've decided that maybe the front pocket of my bag will work or possibly just something stacked above it.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is standard practice at sporting events afaik, its because they don't want you selling the prints without a press pass. its about them keeping the best quality stuff for themselves and regulating the fans to lower quality.

18. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Well, if it's a day game you can opt for the e-520 with 70-300mm f/4-5.6... that lens at 4.5" will give you an equivalent 600mm field of view and incredibly high quality images for a $360 lens...;)

I agree that spectator 'photographers' can make themselves quite a nuisance, especially since they seem to have no consideration for the fact that their big ole head is in everybody else's way.:mad:

19. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

i could totally understand say a 500mm lens that gets carried in a suitcase and everything but a 70-200mm that fits in my bag? just seems like another way to take rights away from the people

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Although I generally agree that a 70-200 in the hands of most of us is more an annoyance to other fans than a threat to the "brand", exactly what right do you claim here? I'm sorta tired with the overuse of that word.

Last time I checked, the ballpark is a private venue, the exhibition is presented by private entities, and just as with any other property, the rights are in the property owner's hands here. Let's not confuse private with public, please.

Your ticket is a license to observe, period, subject to the terms of the property owner, and revocable at any time. It is their right to be twunts about it. It is not your right to exceed the terms of the license.

I don't mean to pick on you specifically here, I just see that term badly abused all over the Forums and elsewhere.

21. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

If I were to play devils advocate (and I frequently do), if I were a professional photographer and I or my agency had paid good dollar for a press pass for the rights to publish and sell photographs of a sport (BTW this happens in golf too), I would be pretty miffed if an 'amateur' paying standard gate prices wandered in with equipment nearly as good as mine and started taking pics. In fact I might even complain to somebody and get them to crack down on what equipment folk could bring to the game. :rolleyes:

22. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Better then Shea

Are cameras/recording devices permitted?

Small still or digital still cameras are permitted in Shea Stadium. Video cameras are not permitted due to security guidelines.

23. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

right may be too cliche of a word to use but it just seems ridiculous to me. security searches harder for an unacceptably sized lens than a hand gun or something of that sort. its a trivial issue overall but it seems the restriction is overkill. personally i'd rather them ban the cameras overall cause for me it would be more frustrating to go to the game and not be able to bring in the lens i actually want to use.

24. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

What would be great if there was some way to encode an indelible copyright watermark on the photos of non-credentialed photographers. Maybe buy a CF/SD card at the gate hard-coded to imprint that on every file. I know the idea's full of holes, just some after-dinner thunkin'.

25. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm about ***** tired of the reigning brigade of paranoid drips throughout the world seeing competent photographers as a threat to their insignificant and petty little interests. They can take their "brand" and shove it up their ass.