Teleport activates Dedicated GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shardey, Sep 25, 2011.

1. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Ever since I downloaded teleport, I noticed gfxCardStatus reports it running my 6750m. I realize that the gfx program will allow me to set it to Intel hd 3000 only, but why would such a simple program require the dedicated GPU?. Anyone else use this program and notice the same behavior?

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

Its not uncommon. Some apps will detect gfxcardstatus and force the dedicated graphics card to run anyway.
    But yeah, no idea why a simple app like this would require the dedicated graphics card to run. Most apps I've seen with this are the processor intensive apps like games and video converters.

3. shardey thread starter macrumors 6502a

shardey

I don't' even have to force the integrated to watch flash videos, so I'm assuming it's a bug of some sort.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not a bug. Applications which make specific system calls will activate the discrete GPU. For most consumers, this is preferable. Not everyone understands the ramifications of making the switch manually.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is just a plain stupid implementation. They should have made some whitelist approach that enables it when necessary. Considering how view apps actually need it that wouldn't be a long list.
    Whenever a program uses some library that can be use to display complex graphics Apple switches on the dGPU even though it might only paint a simple blue box and does nothing else.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They should've implemented GPU switching like Windows where you can add certain applications to which GPU. Of course Apple thinks this is too much for the average consumer and instead, opted to let the OS handle the switching in a "seamless" process where there is no user interaction needed.

I understand Apple likes to make their products as easy as to use as possible but something like this is ridiculous especially when battery life suffers.