Telestream Acquires Vara Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BrownPlopz, Sep 26, 2008.

1. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

Hi everyone,
    Not sure if anyone else got this email, but today I recieved an email from Telestream (makers of Flip4Mac) that they have acquired Vara Software (makers of Screenflow), and figured I'd post it here just to be sure others received this too, and to ask the question, "What does the future of Screenflow behold?".

Anyway, here's what the message read:

We are pleased to let you know that Telestream, the provider of Flip4Mac, Episode and FlipFactory digital media products, has acquired Vara Software, including its successful, award-winning products Wirecast, ScreenFlow and Videocue. We are glad to welcome you to the Telestream family and wanted to provide you more information about us and how we will continue to support the Vara Software product line.

Who is Telestream?
    Telestream is a provider of encoding-based media workflow solutions for leading broadcast, media and entertainment companies. Our products include Flip4Mac WMV Components, Episode and FlipFactory encoding software and Pipeline network video capture products.

Where to find product information, try, buy and get support for Vara products?
    Visit www.flip4mac.com for information about Wirecast, ScreenFlow and Videocue - including trial downloads, software updates, product purchase and access to technical support. Our support team is ready to help you as well. All the details can be found on our website.

10% off Welcome Offer - valid until Oct 31
    We would like to offer you a special discount, from now until Oct. 31, when you purchase another Vara Software product or any product from Flip4mac.com. Simply enter coupon code WELCOME when you purchase any product from our web store <http://www.flip4mac.com/buy.htm> - including:
    Flip4Mac WMV components - allow you to import, export and play Windows Media on your Mac
    Drive-in - provides innovative storage of your DVD collection on your Mac
    Episode desktop media encoder - one toolset for fast, easy encoding to virtually any format

Thank you for your continued interest in Wirecast, ScreenFlow and Videocue products.

Sincerely,

Barbara DeHart
    VP of Marketing
    Telestream

---

Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there to see if anyone else got it. Also, post your thoughts on the move, and speculation about Screenflow's future.

Attached Files:

2. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Personally, I was very dismayed to see this. I've been very impressed with Vara, whereas Telestream seems anything but "Mac-like." I fear for the future of ScreenFlow. Figures, we finally get a decent screen capture tool on Mac and it gets (potentially) destroyed by acquisition.

I was going to buy ScreenFlow, but now I'm hesitant as I have no idea what Telestream's commitment to future development is. Did they retain the same developer? Or is the product going to turn to mush with future versions? Or will there be future versions at all?

Inquiring minds want to know.

$100 isn't outrageous, but it isn't "oh well, whatever happens happens" pricing either.

3. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Great, but your post didn't do much to further the discussion on the topic, since the thread you linked to doesn't offer any active exchange of info...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is, there is an existing thread where this could have been posted, rather than starting a new thread. Also, to make people aware that many things can be found by searching the forums before posting, as is recommended.

5. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

Well, just to clarify, before starting the thread, I DID search for this, but, I guess my search (which was for, "telestream vara", if anyone's wondering, and yes, I realize how vague that search was, but I wanted to leave it open, to see everything that came up) wasn't good enough (I searched using the "Search Forums" textbox on the top-right corner of every page on the MR Forums), and so I didn't come across the post you pointed out. Also, as LagunaSol pointed out, I also wanted to start conversation about this, for the future of Screenflow.

Anyway, sorry I (re?)posted this, and, yeah, in the future I'll be sure to search more thouroughly before I start a thread. :\ ...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My intent is not to scold or discourage anyone from posting questions. Some may not be aware that using the Google search engine to search the forums will many times reveal answers that are missed by the standard MR search.
    I searched using the MRoogle link I posted for "vara software" and limited the search results to posts within the last year. Here are the search results:
    http://www.google.com/search?num=10...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search
    I hope this helps! :)

7. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks. :)
    Anyway, let's just continue with the talk about the futures of Vara Software's applications, especially Screenflow, as I think I may be hesitant to update mine in the near future, due to this move.

8. Toniola macrumors member

It's my opinion that this is a very good thing for Vara, Telestream AND the users of this software. Prior to this, Telestream acquired Popwire, and has kept their Compression Master software a quality product. It's now called Episode, and is one of the best pro encoding apps around.
    I know quite a few people at t-stream, and can attest to their being a competent, excellent group of people. I really don't understand the comment they they are not Mac supportive....they have passed about 20 million downloads of Flip4Mac, who's entire existence is for the Mac's advantage.
    From what I know, they are keeping the Vara team together, and only adding the support of funding continued development and significant marketing.

9. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

I didn't say they weren't "Mac supportive," I said they weren't "Mac-like." Compare their ultra-janky website with the old Vara website, and one can't help but worry that the beautiful look and feel (and functionality) of ScreenFlow might degenerate.

But I'm glad to hear the Vara development folks are still on board - that's a positive sign.

10. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

So the Vara dev team is staying? Thank god for that one! Would hate to see it completely handed over the t-stream. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think they're great, it's just... I don't know, I guess I'm just not a huge supporter of their designs I guess.

11. backdraft macrumors 6502

Apple should strengthen its core markets. and acquire Telestream while there at it ~sedna GmbH (Sedna Presenter), and possibly Autonomy Virage in one swoop for the video media/encoding side.

While they're at it get back in storage and acquire Active Storage Inc.

Its basically the XRaid team but better: http://www.getactivestorage.com/software.php

12. backdraft macrumors 6502

I'm hoping screenflow adds features found in Panopto: http://v2.panopto.com/CourseCast/Viewer/Default.aspx?id=13790f14-1309-4a06-bee1-7499afce1e9c