Television + console to Imac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Danando1993, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Danando1993 macrumors regular

I just wanted to know if i would be able to watch sky TV on my imac, if the quality of playing a PlayStation 3 on the 27 imac is the same as playing it on a normal TV and what is the best converter to use?

Thanks.

2. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

you would need one of these - http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H0360Z/A or similar, a standard Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable will not work, as the iMac will not accept the signal from a HDMI device, without getting something like in the link above to convert it to a signal the iMac can display, and as far as I am aware that Belkin one in the link will only provide 720p.

3. simsaladimbamba

These products might help, but only the Dual Link DVI one will offer the complete resolution of 2560x1440, though the XBox and the TV signal will be only 1920x1080 at maximum anyway.

4. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

I bought the kanex xd for my playstation 3 and it can only support 720p. I have a question about that dual link dvi what cable would you use to connect the imac to the console?

BTW the kanex xd is only 100$ on amazon

5. Danando1993 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help, my ps3 uses HDMI but my sky television comes through an separate wire and into a different socket in the back of my TV would these devices support both wires? Also what is it like playing at 720p?

thanks again.

6. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

ah sorry i was assuming it was Sky HD, Regular Sky TV may be problematic to you, the device i linked to farther up will not support the Scart Connection that your sky is using.

a viable but costly alternative is to use an Amp of some sort, such as one built into a home theatre system, i have all my devices connected up to my Sony HT-IS100 and then one HDMI lead comes out of that to the TV, and im pretty certain i could input from a Scart lead (using the separate Yellow, Red and White cables rather than a Scart lead itself, and then it will output down the HDMI lead, its worth over £350, but should work alone with the Belkin device i linked to.

unless anyone else has any better ideas?

7. Danando1993 thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm seems like some trouble, might stick to using the imac for my ps3 and regular television for sky instead of fiddling around with wires, frustrating having to use another screen in my room :(. thanks for the help.