television entertainment through apple products without paying for cable

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erandall38, Jan 7, 2011.

1. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I recently just moved to a new place and am looking to save cost. I was curious what type of entertainment I can get on my TV. I have a mac, ipad, and iphone to my disposal. I was looking at something like a slingbox and grabbing cable from my parents house... I know real grownup right?

I have this old small box called an eyeTV... I'm not really sure what capabilities it has. Any other similar ideas. I think a slingbox type idea would be nice. Although if I can get my laptop screen to show on my tv... I might be able to use some streaming service. Speaking of the which... if you use DVR isnt there some service where you can watch your DVR'd sessions on your laptop? I also have access to netflix online.... any other ideas?

Basically I am looking to not pay for cable. I just don't watch TV enough. But I still would like to have some sort of entertainment in down times. Also the TV is a bit older.. no special connections, just cable/audio/video.

Thanks.

EDIT: title is a bit confusing. I have apple products at my disposal, but I was looking for mac related software that could provide some sort of television-like entertainment.

2. Photics macrumors regular

Netflix replaces cable for me. That's not free. I think the 1-DVD movie and Instant Streaming plan is less than $10 a month. I think that's really cheap for the quality of the service.

There's Hulu, but the "We're aliens" marketing campaign is still in my memory, so I don't watch it.

There's also Youtube for some old stuff...
    http://youtube.com/shows

That's a good way to watch old episodes of MacGyver and Star Trek. :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Stealing cable can get you into real trouble. If your parents knowingly or should know that they are helping you, then they could get into trouble as well.

4. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Do you have any ideas on getting whats streaming from netflix on my comp screen to be on my TV? Is apple TV the only way?

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My friend at work loves Hulu plus. I told him about the latest episode of MODERN FAMILY and in a minute, he was watching it on his iphone. As far as streaming netwflix onto your tv, there are a few ways that I can think of. Use your iphone with the composite or component cables out to your tv. Use your wii/ps3. Use a bluray player with wifi. sure there are other ways...

6. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the warning.

cool. love modern family! whats your opinion on hulu/netflix. Netflix seems to be a lot of movies and a lag on getting TV shows. Hulu seems to be more TV based and gets them quickly?