Television question (creating a letterbox display)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dimwhit, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Off the wall question, but I thought I'd ask (not even sure if this is the right forum).

So I have a regular television, 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm getting annoyed that shows are being broadcast in widescreen and my TV, since it isn't a widescreen, cuts of the picture.

Is there a way I can force it to display letterbox? So I get the full picture, along with the lovely black bars on the top or bottom? I can't find a setting on the TV. Is there some cheap equipment I can buy to do it?

Probably a shot in the dark. But I'd hate to scrap a nice TV that's not very old.

2. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

You are pretty much SOL, since the broadcasters are the ones that crop the shows for the SD channels, not the TV.

The only thing you can do it get a HD tuner and tell it you have a 4:3 TV and to letterbox HD programs.

3. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If an HD tuner will do that, I'd be happy. That's pretty much what I'm looking to do anyway. Thanks!

4. Alican macrumors regular

What country are you in and how do you receive your TV broadcasts (digital satellite? Digital terrestrial?)

5. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

US. Dish Network (so I guess digital satellite).