Televisions that insist on telling me that they're muted

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Dec 21, 2008.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Why must you annoy me so? I can tell when a TV has been muted, because there is no sound coming from the speakers. I don't need the word MUTE to block my screen. Are there any televisions that do not feel the need to block my screen for no discernable reason?

Attached Files:

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

they annoy me aswell.

Maybe show a growl style message that DISAPPEARS!!

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Talk about a design fail. Please tell me that disappears after a few seconds. Both my TVs display mute in the lower left hand corner unobtrusively.

4. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Yeah, that'd be great. I also notice that sometimes when I access another menu, the word MUTE disappears, and then, when I exit said menu, the cursed MUTE returns.

Oh, I made that picture with Preview + a google image result for TV. :D

But the principle still stands. If the word MUTE is in the bottom left corner, that blocks the channel navigator thing for cable TV, blocks menus in video games, and still ultimately ruins the overall image. I just want the TV screen to be unobstructed.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

This may be a ridiculous suggestion but why not just press the volume down button until you can't hear the sound if it is such a big deal.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll check if the Bravia and Samsung do it in the morning, I'm sure the Samsung does (whatever model was new 6 months ago).

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

My Samsung just puts a little speaker with an X over it in one of the corners. not really obtrusive at all. And my BRAVIA just puts a tiny "Muting" in white text in the bottom left.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

My vizio isn't bad

the icon is tiny, but badly colored and pixalated which is very unapealing.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Tell me you guys aren't buying nice flat screen HD televisions and pumping the audio through the crappy built in speakers.

I have no idea what my Sony does when I mute it because I mute through my surround receiver, like every one of you should be doing. ;) ;)

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is strange most TV will put MUTE up for a little bit (30 sec) and goes away. That is what my TV did. The TV has been Muted for almost a year now as sound set up to go through some other speakers and never touches the TV at all.

Most TV I know do what my TV does. Puts MUTE for 30 sec or so then goes away.

11. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

What TV do you have?

Thanks for the responses in general.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Me too with my Samsung.

Plus, there's an option in my settings to disable the speakers so I don't even get the MUTE crap on my screen.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have something made by Sayno, my parents have a Plasma made by Panisonic, My brothers is made by Toshiba, my parents other Panisonic all do not leave the mute on the screen.

It just seem to me that is majority do not do that and I think if you go buy a new one the store would let you mute it to see what happens. I agree it is a design flaw.

14. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I don't have a super high quality TV I got at the store. I bought an LCD TV from woot that was on sale whose cost I split with my roommate (that's what I get, I suppose!)

But my mom's TV did the same thing, and most other TVs I come across seem to do so.

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

You could turn the volume all the way down....bam no mute icon.

16. Fezwick macrumors 6502

My Pioneer does not do this. It has a little speaker icon with an X on it and it disappears after five seconds.

17. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Too unpleasant. That'd be like using Windows instead of OS X, just because you could ultimately get the same results.

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I hate when I'm watching the news or something is scrolling across the bottom of the screen and the Volume bar will not disappear so I can read it. I think that a small red light near the buttons would be a better idea, that's on when the TV is muted and off when it's not. A huge design flaw of my Ölevia TV is there is a blue light on the power button that is on while the TV is OFF. I have it covered up with black electrical tape.

19. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I used to have a really old TV that had a separate little screen just for the channel. When you muted it, no visual change happened, and when you changed the volume, that number for the channel would briefly change to the volume level. For some reason, we've gone backwards.

20. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Perhaps, but if your reason for leaving it muted is because you use a surround sound system, then it's a one-time thing when you turn it down, then you don't have to mess with it any more.