Tell me about the Fusion Drive.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wilds94, Apr 18, 2013.

1. wilds94 macrumors member

So I'm just about too buy an iMac. Coming from owning (now selling) a rMBP 15" with a 256GB SSD, what am i too expect in terms of real world speeds and usage of the Fusion Drive. Has anyone had the same experience i'm about too have and give me some info.

Additionally, has anyone made a Windows partition on the Fusion Drive and been able to give us any information as too speeds and such.

I'm scared people... So scared... I love my SSD speed like nothing else on a computer.

2. Andrew*Debbie, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

Andrew*Debbie macrumors member

We're very happy with ours but we run MacOS only. You get the fast boot and launch that comes with SSD but without the cost of 1GB of flash.

We haven't tried it with boot camp and don't plan to. Ever. Debbie's laptop has bootcamp and that handles our minimal needs on Windows.

The SSD on fusion is 128GB. There won't be much left for the MacOS side if you are able to put Windows boot partition on it.

If you are running dual boot, have you though about the 768GB Flash drive? That plus a USB 3 external drive would scream.

3. wilds94 thread starter macrumors member

Thats really cool. I think i'm at the last stage before putting in my order and buying myself one. I just want to hear from someone how they go with Bootcamp on the 3tb or even 1tb Fusion HDD? My guess is that it would be essentially the same as having a standard HDD. Hoping someone can tell me otherwise. Although if all i'm doing is playing computer games, it shouldn't matter too much right?

Otherwise should i get the 768gb SSD?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The Fusion drive concept relies on OS X. You can't use a Fusion drive volume on Windows. You can partition a bit of the HDD for Windows and have the remainder as a Mac Fusion drive.

But then the Windows partition is just a 5400rpm HDD partition.

The Fusion Drive is a brilliant concept, and even if 1TB SSDs become commonplace, there may well be other technologies in the wings, so that the SSD will be the slow bit!

5. jpmorais, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

jpmorais macrumors member

I was able to test 2 27" With fusion drives mine came with the Seagate HDD (Some people got lucky like me) and my cousins came with the WD HDD. both 7200. (BUT I WENT ALL SSD ANYWAY LATER ANYWAY)

So we split the fusion drive using the terminal, and install the OSX on the HDD only, leaving the 128GB SSD alone, to test how fast the HDD was.

The Seagate HDD has a 200 read and 200 write, its one of the fastest HDD on the Market.

People with the fusion drive with WD HDD gets about 130 read and write.

So my cousin exchange his iMac until he got the Seagate LOL.

Oh and by the way the 21'5 inch comes with the 5400 HDD even with fusion.

Bootcamp installs on the HDD only as the OSX creates a partition on the HDD for bootcamp.
    So if you get the 27 with Seagate HDD the bootcamp its gonna be quicker, but still be quick with the WD HDD since 130 read and right is very good for a hdd.

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have both the rMBP and the 2012 iMac with Fusion drive. So far I have not noticed a difference between the two at all. Startup, opening apps, shutdown, etc. all seems to be the same speed.

I was afraid of a noticeable difference too, but there is none. Honestly this iMac screams and even with a conventional HD inside, it's super silent. I very highly recommend the Fusion drive.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

As I mentioned in your other thread, Windows does not see the Fusion drive, its only available under OS X. Boot Camp will create a partition on just the HDD from which Windows will operate. You'll get no advantage from the internal SSD when operating Windows.

8. Arfdog macrumors 6502

If you're used to Macbook with SSD, the iMac with Fusion will give you 95% of the same experience in real world, ie not transferring dozens of 30 GB files or acting as a server.

Honestly, i can't tell the damn difference.