Tell Me All About Gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm curious about how Gmail works with Mail and iPhone together.

I understand I can set it up as IMAP, which is good. But how does it deal with Gmail's "Labels". Does a "label" on Gmail = a "Mailbox" in Mail.app? What happens to those items that have multiple labels in the Web interface?

Spam? Does it put it into a folder on Mail/iPhone, the same way it is on the Web?

All the same stuff on all 3 devices (Web app, Mail.app and iPhone), in true IMAP fashion, right?

Thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Labels do appear in the structure as folders, but as I recall you have to check them manually, as the phone/Mail.app only check the Inbox for new messages. Items with mutiple labels appear in multiple folders.

Spam doesn't even appear on the iPhone for the reason stated above.

Everything works great through IMAP almost always the same regardless of how you access the system.

TEG

3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Do y'all have to deal with dismissing this every time you launch Mail.app?

Attached Files:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you just want to accept it, press the show certificate button and the window will expand. Then in one of the options boxes you can accept the certificate, this will mean you don't have to do it every time.

I personally don't have it.

5. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Gmail is the best free email provider I have ever used. No ads in the emaills. IMAP is very good. works very well. Never had any problems i strongly recommend it. :)

7. danny_w macrumors 601

One quirk caused by the label vs. folder system is that when you drag a message to a "folder" (actually, add a label to a message), it leaves a copy in the inbox; this is the way that gmail messages can appear in more than one "folder", because a single email can have multiple labels attached to it. In the gmail web interface you then get rid of the inbox version with "Archive". Does Delete in mail.app do the same function?