Tell me how to properly use iTunes's library feature

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prunes, Feb 27, 2008.

1. prunes macrumors newbie

I'm a major mac newbie--received my Macbook Pro within the week. I went through a huge fiasco attempting to import my mp3s the other day from off my NTFS-formatted external hdd.

I imported them into iTunes by just dragging and dropping the files in at once. Oops. This resulted in creating a *ton* of duplicate files (yes, files, not simply duplicate entries within iTunes). I have quite a large mp3 collection and the number of duplicates was on the order of approximately 5,000 files I believe.

So of course I flipped. After spending day 1 trying to use finder to delete the stuff and day 2 unsuccessfully looking for shareware to help me and then trying to delete things one at a time, I gave up and nuked my library and decided to start over. So now I have a comfortable directory on my mac with mp3s not imported into iTunes.

FWIW I'm semi-convinced that m3u's caused the problem. I don't see this documented on the internet though.

So the duplicates are my first problem. The second is that iTunes seems to go retarded when I have albums with multiple artists, i.e. soundtracks and rap albums in which the artist tag includes artists featured as well. This results in creating approximately 20 different directories/artists for one single album. Yes, I could retag my mp3s, but I feel like there has to be a better way.

That's about it. Thanks for your advice!

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Did you use iTunes in your previous computer? If so you could just transfer your library file and load it better.

3. prunes thread starter macrumors newbie