Tell me...is the iPhone for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iking, Dec 14, 2007.

1. iking macrumors newbie

Ok here is the deal. The money is no problem, I am not rich but buying an iPhone is no biggie.

I am in my early 30's and attending college with 1 year to go (marketing) and would love a personal device that can perform several tasks.

I have only dial up on my home and heard that the iPhone will connect faster than dial up.

I have wanted a laptop for several years, I have wanted a personal movie/music player for years and I also am about to buy a new phone in 2 days.

is the iPhone for me?

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I love mine. It can replace a laptop for communication needs when around and about and when I actually get EDGE the connection is probably better than dial up (though it's many years since people used dial up in the UK).

It's replaced my phone, my pda, my ipod, my watch. Worth every penny for me.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the iPhone is for you but understand that it doesn't run things like word and such. You can take notes on it but it's not the most efficient way of doing things. For me, the iPhone has only replaced my phone and pda. I have a PDA for work but that is because they refuse to let me work with them to configure my iPhone to get their exchange e-mail.

It won't replace my watch because I love watches and wear them all of the time. It will replace my iPod once I get time to look into in-car solutions and such. It won't replace my laptop ever. The great thing about it is that while I got it during my last semester of college, I could have totally seen using iCal for it as I used it for school a lot and syncing and being reminded of things would have helped since I tend to work long hours.

4. star800 macrumors newbie

Why don't buy a laptop that all the functions you wanted to can be contented .

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The iPhone is your choice...

if you are a student in constant need of access to your campus email, university website, financial aid website, among others. The EDGE system can be used or you can connect to your campus wifi and "fly" from one website to the next. In this day and age of wifi hotspots, on campus is the most difficult areas to pick-up a wifi signal in some of the classrooms, so I'll switch the wifi "off" and let EDGE do the work; I'll find myself surfing the web and checking emails from my professors, while the other students are left without a connection. Also, the music and DVD movies on my iPhone cannot be beaten by the "others!" There are so many features that I use on a daily basis with my iPhone, that it's hard to remember what "school life" was like, before "iPhone!" :cool:

6. silbeej macrumors 6502a

The iPhone is a great all in one device, however it will not replace a laptop with functionality. If i were in this situation, i would personally go with a normal phone, and take the extra money and get a decent laptop so that you will still have access to everything while on campus, for i suspect that you have wifi at school, and then you can get a router or even upgrade to ATT DSL at your home, for it is very cheap for the lowest speed, which is still not that bad, its what i have. Thats what i would do, but then again if money is no issue, get the iPhone, laptop, and upgrade your internet while you are at it.

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

The iPhone seems like it will work for you, but you should know it will not cover everything that a laptop would. It will be fine for internet, but remember you can only view Word, pdf, and other file types, you can't edit them. If that is not a big issue for you, things should be fine.

8. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

I think you'd probably love the iPhone, but don't expect it to replace a laptop for everything. I personally am going to use a MacBook/iPhone combo for school :D but yes, the iphne is an amazing media device that also happens to be a great phone.

9. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

If money isnt a big factor, upgrade to high speed internet and get yourself a real laptop.
    The iPhone is great, but it will not replace a full computer.