Tell me, Mac Doc, How much time do I have?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shellseeker, Sep 30, 2007.

1. shellseeker macrumors newbie

I have a 2004 G4 PB. Last year I had a crash and had my hard drive replaced. 8 months later I started having problems on start up and I think it's my board.

When I start up, screen has horizontal wavy lines. I can make out my tool bar well enough to go into Dispaly. I then click on the next highest resolution and get and good screen. Then I click back to what it should be and my display is normal. It stays this way until I shut it down and restart. Once in a while it will restart as my normal screen.

I am thihnking it's the Board. Apple store quoted me a price of about $400 to $600. (What a range!:rolleyes: ) Anyway after spending the money on the hard drive, I don't think it's wise to put more money in a G4 but I cannot afford a new Mac at this time. (Which I would love to do:D )

So, how much time to you think I can go on this way? Probably a wild guess. If I should lose my screen entirely will that affect all my data? Stupid question, maybe but I am not sure.

I feel like I am living on borrowed time.

Any input will be appreciated.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you lose your screen it should not affect you data. If I was in your situation I would try just using it with an external display while saving up for a new computer or buy a used iBook or PowerBook to have a working computer while saving for a new one.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It sounds like a problem with the gpu. I believe those are hardwired on the PB, so that's a minus, but the plus is that, if you aren't covered by Applecare and it isn't covered under a recall, you can possibly just plug a monitor into the PB and still use the machine. 50/50 on that, as I've had that solve a problem with one ibook and not work with another (as it's still the GPU, so it just depends WHERE the problem is)...

EDIT: sorry mrkramer, I should really read replies before replying. What he said. :)

4. shellseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I had thought about an external monitor. I would like to locate a good used PB just in case. I am going to attend my local Mac Users group this week, so maybe I can get some support and suggestions on a local level.