Tell me the downsides the following idea...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Mar 11, 2011.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I have a 16 GB 3G original iPad. I am planning to get a 32 GB Wi-Fi for my next iPad. I will be keeping both. My son will be able to use the original and I'll use the new one. I don't always purchase the data plan for the original but would like to now have data for both. I think I'll just get the AT&T mifi and get their 3GB of data plan. Besides the fact that I'd have to carry the mifi around and I'll have to turn the mifi on before I use the iPad, what are the other downsides I haven't thought of?

2. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

No gps and worse 3g battery life if you're using a mifi device (the mifi devices have less battery life), that's about it.

I'm getting 32 gb wifi and probably gonna get the Clear Spot 4g+, or just use MyWi on my iPhone and get a second iPhone battery.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone 4 that is always with me so what other purpose would the 3G iPad give me over the one with Wi-Fi?

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wish we had Clear Spot where I live but there's no coverage.

5. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

clear spot has equally bad battery life. at most 4 hours with moderate use (aka 1 device)

6. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Clear Spot 4g+ uses Sprint's network. 4g coverage is pretty sparse (though pretty good on the east coast), but 3g is nationwide.

4 hours of battery does suck, but let's be real: how many times over the course of your iPads life will you be without wifi for 4 hours at a time and have no access to a plug?

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I assume that if their site doesn't show coverage in my city though then there's no access there... even if Sprint does have coverage....

8. rritterson macrumors 6502

1. The MiFi requires a contract/postpaid data plan doesn't it? Or can you turn it on only when you need it like the iPad?
    2. MiFi is probably SIM locked, iPad is not. If you travel internationally, a 3G iPad will let you buy a PAYG sim where ever you go and have cellular data anywhere.

9. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have two small kids so my chances of traveling internationally in the near future are pretty slim. Traveling like I did before children is such a distant memory now;).

For the plans, it depends upon which mifi you want. For the AT & T I will have to have a plan since I don't want to pay full price for the device. I would prefer a 1 year plan like they offer on verizon but they don't offer such a thing with AT&T. I will have to keep the data on all the time but I am looking forward to that.

10. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

3g ipads, gen 1 and gen 2 have incredible resale value. Keep that in mind. The wifi version is for retirees. Be a warlock and win with 3g