Tell me the personal experiences about the past recessions...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vilasgn, Sep 17, 2008.

1. vilasgn macrumors regular

how does it like to be in recessions/depression?

This is probably the first time for (are we there yet?)

If anybody has been through recession in the past please share his/her thoughts.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Last time I wandered from town to town with an onion tied to my belt (that was the style at the time) and we tried to get ourselves as much work as we could.

There were lines a mile long outside the Centrelink offices for people lining up to submit their info for their dole money. Food was scarce, dust storms were regular and the entire planet was ruled by DAMNED DIRTY APES!! The children, oh god the children, will they ever forgive us, they died while we ate... They died while we stuffed our faces with the pitiful food we could afford (mind you, onions were surprisingly cheap - you just stole them from corpses) I can still hear the weak sobbing...

But we got by, some of us will never be the same again - I still have the images from the factory burned into my skull... IT"S MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!! WHY?! WHY DID THEY KILL JIMMY?!! OH GOD NO....

3. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

4. vilasgn thread starter macrumors regular

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

We couldn't afford the Double Quarter Pounder meals. We had to make tough choices: buy the burger alone, or buy the regular quarter pounder meal.

We all have to tightened our belts. Otherwise, our jeans would fall down from all that weight loss.

6. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

If you don't trade stocks like me... then you don't have to worry.... jk. :eek:

But I have heard it just becomes a tougher time. Money tighter. More people without jobs. People loosing there large value credit-payed items.

Like right now.. Only a little more. Hard.

My prayers to God Almighty to all who have lost a home, a job, or a lot of money!

If you are ABOUT to start college, yes I know college just started but! Take classes in health care. It's financially rewarding and people will ALWAYS be getting hurt. Nobody will ALWAYS need a computer. Or an iPod. Or the latest this or that. You get the picture.

Be conservative and save! ALWAYS! even if not in a recession/depression. It will show big changes in your life. You will have more money to invest. You could even maybe retire sooner! :)

Good luck! God bless! and everyone, quit blaming Bush. There is only so much someone can do in eight years... Clinton sure did enough to set Bush up for this mess. Though that will not be discussed with me tonight.

Take a break, relax. and don't worry to much until it is truly time! Which I hope it will not become :eek:

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The last recession, or more specifically in 1990-<92, I was in a non-Western / Far Eastern country having a blast. Financially, my (modest) mortgage was being paid for in a complex series of deals that meant I only had to pay a fraction of the tax of that as a benefit, I was being paid quite well and I was barely using any of my money while out there. And even my relatively small investments were doing very well.

So basically, I came out of the last recession with a fat wad.

In the case of this coming recession, I may not in such a good position: I'm self-employed, and many of my clients are perfectly able to weather any sort of recession due to their sheer wealth but they might cut back on the more extravagant stuff - which is kind of our bread and butter.