Tell me what you think about AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspired, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

Hi I will be purchasing a MacBook Pro very soon. I am still deciding whether or not I should purchase AppleCare and would like to know what everybody thinks about it?

I take really good care of my Laptops, have used many PC's without ever running into any hardware problems. I have read several threads about how AppleCare totally saved people several hundred bucks. So I want to see if I would need it. I'll be keeping the macbook at home most of the time.

How common is it for MacBooks to run into Hardware failure?

I keep reading these stories about people running into hardware trouble after a few months and I just don't want it to happen to me.

I'm stuck in a place where I feel like Apple is forcing me to purchase AppleCare...

Sorry if this is in the wrong trend, I'm not a fanboy of any kind, I'm just a person ready to make a huge purchase and would not like to have any regrets afterward.

[UPDATE]
    OK, I'm pretty convinced that from reading the response that AppleCare is gonna be a necessity for a MacBook. Here's another question, what if my laptop dies after the 3 year AppleCare runs out, am I able to still purchase another AppleCare on ebay? and stay covered?

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

You'll hate it if you end up not needing it.. you'll love it if you do need it...

It's insurance, plain and simple..

You can get it for less then half of what apple is asking for it on ebay. I've bought applecare for all my laptops on ebay.. all valid, and cheap (compared to what apple asks for it anyway)...

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Apple care on a laptop is a must , If anything happen they will fix it for 3 years , Geting your laptop fix the first time is going to cost way more than apple care ever will

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd get it if I were you. It saved me from the cost of a new logic board for my MBP (quoted at the time $1200). It also saved me from paying for the superdrive replacement ($500).

If I wasn't covered by Applecare the logic board replacement alone wouldn't have made it economical to repair the computer.